ACT compass test question Advice please.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 9:50 pm

Hey Gang, I'm looking at various colleges that I'm thinking of applying two however the issue is for all new students they are required to take an compass test now right off the bat it appears that most of the questions are what maybe asked is kinda what I'm having issues learning now so my question is is there anyway around the compass/placement test? Will having notes from a person whom specializes in Autism/LD help any? I kinda feel that it's redundant being that I'm learning this stuff now and having moderate issues due to my LD's and if I want to continue my education I have to endure it all over again.

So I ask does anybody have any tips when it comes to the compass test how in deph the testing is and what (if any) accommodations are provided

I hate to think I'm wasting my time struggling to get my GED only to find out through my own inadequacies I wont be able to attend the college/class(es) needed to get into the broadcasting field.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 6:50 pm

No one?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 7:02 pm

I've never heard of the ACT Compass until now.

I took the SAT's back in 1978 and 1979.

It seems as if mainly high school students take the ACT.

What have you been told about its use for you?

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 9:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've never heard of the ACT Compass until now.

I took the SAT's back in 1978 and 1979.

It seems as if mainly high school students take the ACT.

What have you been told about its use for you?

Hey, the SAT's are yet a different test if you will the Compass test shows the college where one stands academically (which is an Issue for me because I can barely grasp late middle school to early highschool math

the test requirements states for a college diploma the requirements are
70 in reading
38 in writing
37 in pre-algebra
29 in algebra

However, if i wanted an actual degree they require the following:
79 in reading
62 in writing
37 in pre-algebra
37 in algebra

I want to go to college I know the job I want to do and the field I want to get into buut I dunno if my scores will be in my favor due to my LD's

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 6:50 pm

I avoided taking the SATs my entire life. I don't know what the ACTs are. I got an associate's degree after my GED so both 4 years I went to said the associate's degree counted as an SAT.

I couldn't weasel my way out of the GRE (graduate school placement test). I got something like 25% correct in the math section, which is laughably bad. They had my transcripts so they saw I always got As in any math class I took. I had two bachelor degrees by that time so I had a solid academic history. I wrote a good letter to get in, got it looked over by some professors. Got some good recommendation letters. They let me in although in their rules they shouldn't have.

So my advice is to see if you can get out of it, first of all. If there's no way around it, just take it and talk your way around it. The worst that will happen is they'll make you take an extra class in whatever subject you're bad in.