Anyone else start uni/college later on?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Miss_Skitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2016, 7:22 pm

I'm 21 and I'm about to begin my second year of uni in September. I had to postpone my studies due to ill-health and when I finally recovered I found it difficult to adjust back into student life, it took me a couple of tries finding the right course and institution. But I get this little irrational anxiety in the back of my mind sometimes, saying I'm too old to be a student and I should be graduating now like a lot of my friends are. I know it's kinda silly, people study at all ages due to sheer choice or what's best for them. Is anyone else here a mature student?

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 8:46 pm

I might start university later on. [Nice avatar! :D ]

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Wewnaw

06 Jun 2016, 3:47 am

I went college at 27 and then started university degree at 28. There were lots of other mature students of various ages. Good luck with your course!

RAADS-R score: 189.0
Seeking diagnosis

Miss_Skitty

07 Jun 2016, 9:17 am

Thanks Wewnaw :) What are/were you studying? My uni has loads of students of various ages too, I think it's great!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 2:11 pm

21? You're still very young :P

I dropped out of two unis, then started a third course when I was 26. I'm 30 now and will be finishing this year. :)

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2016, 3:26 pm

I didn't start my first degree until I was 24 and I'm about to start my second at 33, you will find plenty of students in your age group at uni.

your age will not affect you negatively; In fact most universities will consider it an advantage and you may be able to gain access to courses that you would not have done if you had applied when you were younger.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 5:50 pm

I'm not going to be starting college til I turn 24 (college is insanely expensive in the US when you're still considered a dependent on your parent - which is until you're 24 generally). I don't think it's weird. My friend started CC this year and is taking mostly online classes and a lot of her classmates are in their late 20s and early 30s.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor