I know there is a discussion on Reddit for Homeschool Recove

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

AdultingMcManFace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2024, 5:35 pm

ry, but is there one for Unnecessary Special Ed Classes? I was put in one in eighth grade after recovering from being homeschooled, as I'll put it. I just performed math behind my grade level, but I was in Special Ed for many classes except PE and my elective.
My autism is level one, but I don't really have issues with sounds, lights or being in a crowded room giving me anxiety. I can blend in with non autistic people as long as I'm masking, and, because of the above, isn't that much of a struggle (just mostly my stimming).

And because of that, is there a chance that someone like me nowadays wouldn't need Special Ed classes or even an aide? I at least want hope for this generation.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 3:20 pm

That's an interesting idea. I am actually a member of the Homeschool Recovery group. I was homeschooled in the 1980s and early 1990s as the first generation to legally be able to do it in my state. I hated it. I had to pull my son out for a few years while we got his ADHD medications worked out. It was quite unpleasant. He's back in public school now. He has asked me if he could phase out his Special Ed because he doesn't think he needs it.

I say you should start one. And for the time being, this thread has started the subject discussion here.