Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2009, 2:06 pm

Hello
Is Linux usually allowed in college? Like connecting to wifi in the dorm rooms?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 2:56 pm

Allowed? I know the tech support place at my university does not support GNU/Linux (or anything other than XP, Vista, and Mac OS X) but you can still use whatever you want. They can't realistically prevent you from connecting to wifi- for my case, I just had to register the MAC address of my network connectors and then log in to the network with my university username and password. The university can't forbid you from running whatever OS you want, though mine will kick you off the network (possibly permanently) if you torrent.

That said, my sister's school did threaten to kick her off the network when they determined she was using an old version of OS X that they no longer support (she's on old hardware and can't run the newest version). So it might depend on your school.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 11:10 am

My college officially supports certain versions of Linux, but yeah, it can't really be checked.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 7:25 am

On a side note, I'm considering joining my university's computer science department, and I've been told by a comp sci friend that about half the professors use Linux (the other half using Macs). On top of that, the computer science lab is outfitted with Red Hat Enterprise Linux on everything.

mlqqeae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2009, 1:35 am

Linux is the ultimate OS. Although, as a gamer I have to stick with Vista. Waiting for the day when Linux has complete gaming capabilities....
Doesn't seem too likely since DirectX is strictly Microsoft Only at the moment.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2009, 2:59 pm

Orwell wrote:
On a side note, I'm considering joining my university's computer science department, and I've been told by a comp sci friend that about half the professors use Linux (the other half using Macs). On top of that, the computer science lab is outfitted with Red Hat Enterprise Linux on everything.

I'm studying comp-sci and that seems about right (grad students as well).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 5:49 pm

mlqqeae wrote:
Linux is the ultimate OS. Although, as a gamer I have to stick with Vista. Waiting for the day when Linux has complete gaming capabilities....
Doesn't seem too likely since DirectX is strictly Microsoft Only at the moment.

Hopefully OpenGL will develop further. Try out the Windows 7 RC for your gaming, it's much better than Vista and it's a free download.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 4:42 pm

I think my college doesn't give two hoots-at least the one I'm transferring to. They are really Firefox-friendly.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2009, 7:04 am

mlqqeae wrote:
Linux is the ultimate OS.

You got that right!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 7:08 am

Mason uses Linux on their servers so it is allow at Mason to what I know at this time being.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 9:46 am

JerryHatake wrote:
Mason uses Linux on their servers so it is allow at Mason to what I know at this time being.

Everyone with a quarter brain uses Linux on their servers. Doesn't mean they endorse it for students to use. My uni's entire computer science department runs Linux workstations, but the tech help place will insist that you have to be running XP, Vista, or Leopard.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:06 pm

Orwell wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

Everyone with a quarter brain uses Linux on their servers. Doesn't mean they endorse it for students to use. My uni's entire computer science department runs Linux workstations, but the tech help place will insist that you have to be running XP, Vista, or Leopard.

Mason might be different since they could endorsed Linux to the students.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2009, 2:37 pm

Orwell wrote:

There's something to be said for BSD or Sun, actually my uni runs sun servers.