Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 11:58 am

Just a little question. I'm intrigued. I love reading, so tell me what your favorite book is and why. If it's obscure, tell us a little bit about it too, the general gist of the storyline :P

I personally have 2 favorite books. Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Caroll.

I love Alice in Wonderland because I always thought it was totally epic, but I love it more now when I'm older.
The reason I love it now is because of all the things woven into it. I love how I can now go through and understand more because of my interest and knowledge of history. For example, I can go through and pick out things most people wouldn't add up - For example why the Hatter is mad (Due to the fact lead was used in the lining of hats during the victorian times, which lead to lead poisining in Hat makers that would lead to insanity) why the March Hare is mad ("Mad as a march hare" was a popular phrase during Caroll's time" and other little things like that.I think it makes for interesting reading to be able to understand more in-depth about what the writer is actually writing about.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 12:50 pm

I can't pick just one... 8O

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 12:55 pm

a FEW then :P

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:09 pm

Here are a few of my favorite books:

A Practical Physiology, A Treatise on Anatomy, Alchohol, A Dangerous and Unnecessary Medicine, Analysis of Mind, Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine, Criminal Psychology, Dream Psychology, Dreams, Dreams and Waking Thoughts, Epilepsy, Histeria, and Neurasthenia, Fathers of Biology, Sexual-Probleme (after translation), Histology of the Blood, How to Analyze People on Sight, Human Foods and Their Nutritive Value, Hygienic Physiology, Hypnotism, Illusions, Insectivorous Plants, Mental Defectives, Micrographia, Note on the Resemblances of Brain Size Between Man and Ape, Object Lessons on the Human Body, On the origin of species, Origin and Nature of Emotions, Psychology of Sex (Volumes 1 through 6), Sleep Walking, Sound Mind, Text Book of Biology, The Brain and the Voice in Speech and Song, The Brain, a Decoded Enigma, The Descent of Man, The Development Psycholgy of Psychopathy, The Evolution of Man (Volumes 1 and 2), The Evolution of Modern Medicine, The Expression of Emotion in Man and Animals, The Glands Regulating Personality, The Harvard Classics Volume 38, The Mental Life of Monkeys and Apes, The Mind and the Brain, The Mind of the Child, The Physiology of Taste, The Power of Movement in Plants, The Practice of Autosuggestion, Unconscious Memory, The Complete Aristotle, The Complete Plato, Osler's Modern Medicine (volumes 1 through 7), Endocrinology, Principals of Insect Physiology, Cell and Molecular Biology (5th edition), The Science of Life (12th edition), Biochemistry, Integrated Principals of Zoology, On the Origin of Species, The Science of Life (volumes 1 through 4), and Coraline.

CMD
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2010, 6:42 pm

I have plenty of favorites, but the one I love the most is Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

What makes it top the rest is it's, frankly, amazing writing style. The way each sentence flowed into the next kept me hooked from the first to the last, and the variation on their structures was well spread out. I also enjoyed how such a dense piece is produced from such a simple plot. Bounty hunter goes after his targets, which are androids, only to be lead on a journey to find what 'humanity' can be defined as. The author takes this and constructs a rich novel that goes through the bounty hunter's journey in an intriguing, enthralling way. This is just one of the plots however. There is a subplot that contains a man, who apparently suffers from having a low IQ, who ends up being put in a rather odd circumstance. Which helps develop the story further.

All of this put together, to me, made it a fantastic read.

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2010, 5:36 am

Among the Hidden and Harry Potter. Kinda funny since I'm a third child. I don't read much so it's easy to pick favorites.

SuperSaiyanLuke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2010, 11:29 am

the percy jackson and the olmpyians series

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 2:40 pm

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Deep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Downing Hahn
Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Aruba: The Tragic Untold Story of Natalee Holloway and Corruption in Paradise by Dave Holloway

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 2:48 pm

I used to really like Heidi and The Secret Garden.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 6:07 pm

LiberalJustice wrote:
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Deep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Downing Hahn
Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Aruba: The Tragic Untold Story of Natalee Holloway and Corruption in Paradise by Dave Holloway

There on some on that list that I wouldn't find appropriate for my kids to read ... not sure what age that changes.

TripBSA
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Sep 2010, 3:40 am

SuperSaiyanLuke wrote:
the percy jackson and the olmpyians series

Same here. I also just finished a nonfiction book about a group that builds schools in remote areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan where they have never had real schools... EVER. After reading that I will not be complaining about my school for a while.