Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ZeroSpace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2006, 12:58 pm

Hey everyone. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for a career, so that I can begin to take the appropriate courses in college. does anyone have any ideas tath would be interesting and practical for an aspie? I took one online test and the results pointed towards a more artistic career. While that's all good on paper, none of those careers were very practical. They're all like, 'Go to school for 20 years, work on the street for pennies a day, and if you're damn lucky, you'll make minimum wage working at McDonalds. Or you're one of those one in a million people who actually gets famous'. Does anyone have anything a bit more practical, like a trade, or business executive, or something like that?

alex
Developer
Developer

24 May 2006, 1:12 pm

Do what you are passionate about and think about all the time regardless of how much you get paid.

Hollietheflower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2006, 1:25 pm

:D
You should follow your interests....and if you don't know your interests then find new ones that are practical, just get new hobbies or something.
like , you might find you have an interest in electricity , so you could be an a electrician .
just think hard about it , ask people who know you , what they think you should do, i do that sometimes. Don't get worried about it though , some people don't decide what they want to do till they're 40 .
Just out of interest, i'm just wondering why you don't like the idea of doing something creative?

adhocisadirtyword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2006, 1:51 pm

If art is the key have you considered graphic design or computer animation? They can be quite lucrative even when you aren't famous.

There are degree programs that can lead you toward careers in those fields.

ZeroSpace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2006, 3:17 pm

I guess I should rephrase part of my initial post. It's not that I don't LIKE creative work, far from it. It's just that a lot of that stuff doesn't seem very practical. Although some of those possibilities seem interesting. Graphic design and computer animation sounds like it could be a fun job.

Elanivalae
Raven
Raven

25 May 2006, 12:06 am

"Art" isn't usually profitable without specialization. Specific fields of it can be, though -- do you have a talent for drawing? Medical illustration pays quite well, and depends on both fine attention to detail and creativity. Technical writing also pays very well, and is doubly profitable if you have an area of expertise and/or drawing skills.

3-D drafting is also a good field for combining technical expertise with creativity...you might make 3-D illustrations of a potential product from a list of specifications, for instance. It can be very interesting, and since you'd be working a lot with engineers and computer science people, it might be a good fit for an aspie.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 12:27 am

Well, I'm thinking about making the odd game or two. I'd need a fair number of artists for that I think.

As far as career wise. You might want to think in a bit broader terms. Rather then being paid an income for an activity, think of it as 'How can I get money?'

With a greater emphasis on information gathering and processing these days, there are many ways to take advantage.

Many of them legal.

ZeroSpace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2006, 2:48 pm

What I want to know is, what do YOU people want to do as a career? I'm trying to find out what sorts of careers aspies are more geared to, and look into them to see if I want to get into any of them. Post what you would like to do for you 9-5.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2006, 8:34 pm

ZeroSpace wrote:
What I want to know is, what do YOU people want to do as a career? I'm trying to find out what sorts of careers aspies are more geared to, and look into them to see if I want to get into any of them. Post what you would like to do for you 9-5.

What would I like to do for a 9-5? Professional gambler :lol:

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2006, 12:23 am

Space wrote:
ZeroSpace wrote:

What would I like to do for a 9-5? Professional gambler :lol:

Get into investment. Similar principles, not quite as random, and you have the potential to assist something.

Failing that, you'd have better luck if you where a cheater or something people call cheating but isn't (like card counting)