Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2010, 9:41 am

Im 17 years old and basically i want to get a job in the countryside away from all the hustle and bustle, preferable a job in forestry or something as i like forests and farms and small countryside communities etc. If theres anyone who shares this same problem or has any advice or solutions please share them :D:D:D:D

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 5:36 pm

My best advice, see about being a farm laborer. It's not all that bad if you work a family farm, but it's not much of a future.

Then again, given the economy, I don't know if that's much of a loss.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 7:41 pm

Where do you live? I live in Australia and there are quite a few country jobs...

TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2010, 7:47 am

i live in scotland and its the complete opposite of austrailia and new zealand because most of our jobs are based in towns and cities and we dont have a huge agricultural business

happyhorse
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2010, 2:37 pm

My cousin works as a gamekeeper in Scotland.
There is a useful website called Scottish Gamekeepers which you could check out if it seems interesting. They have a page on education and training too.
It could be ideal, unless you don't like hunting.
Other than that, the conservation side of tourism could be a good area to research.

I hope this is helpful.

TheLogicStick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2010, 1:20 pm

Consider work that is not location-specific as well. I'm thinking of things that allow you to telecommute or work for yourself (web design, coding, graphic design, etc).

Adolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2010, 11:51 pm

Why wouldn't it be a future working on a farm?

Are the only "acceptable" jobs the academic, liberal type of jobs which are just created to generate profit out of nothing? Like "consultants" and garbage like that?

Americans scare me. They have such a backwards and pathetic view on economy.

Someday I'd like to be a wine farmer in my ancestral home regions around Germany or Austria.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 8:58 am

Adolf wrote:
Why wouldn't it be a future working on a farm?

Not looking down on it, but from an economic standpoint, even the OWNER of a farm is lucky to make money. Farm workers are some of the lowest paid workers in America. If you owe nothing, it might not be bad at all. If you are in debt, you'd never get out of it working on a farm.