working as a professional autism speaker

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2006, 6:59 am

hey, im wondering do any of you work as a professional autism speaker? just travel around and give talks about what its like and stuff? i mean professionally. is it possible to make money this way? do you promote yourself?

the reason i ask is i would really like to do that for a living. i am going to this seminar in an organisation called Mental Health Youth, and after the seminar they will book me to speak at highschools in norway and stuff. but its a volunteer thing so i wont get payed. but its a start.

do you think its possible to become a professional in this field and be just as "good" at it as say Gillberg and Attwood and such? (having it as your career and having people actually wanting you to speak at their conferences)

by the way i dont have any education at all and i am not planning on even getting a highschool diploma. so my question; is it possible to educate oneself and make it my job? cause those experts like Gillberg and Attwod only know about autism in theory they havent actually experienced it.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 7:15 am

No, no, no, no, no, and no. Sorry, but you'll either have to find something else to pursue, or finish school and get yourself an education.

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2006, 7:37 am

uhm, there is nothing else to persue at all. i already quit highschool several times and we dont have GEDs where i live.
gosh dont be so pessimistic. it should be possible..

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 10:42 pm

I think it would be possible for you to become a good speaker. You would have the advantage of knowing what it is like to be autistic. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest reading a lot of books about what it's like to be autistic and about autism, because although you know what it's like to be you and autistic, you don't know exactly what it's like to be anyone else and autistic- kind of like someone who likes music trying to speak for all lovers of music.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I