Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 2:04 am

Hey all, so I just got this job at a clothing store...and apparently, I don't even get to hide behind the cash register, I'll just have to be friendly and helpful to people all day! 8O I have a feeling this is going to be hard for me, since I really crashed and burned on that point in my last job. Has anyone here worked retail? Any tips that could make it easier would be much appreciated! :D

briangwin33
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2006, 2:25 am

Hmm, I was a waiter for a while which is sort of similar. The good thing about that was that I could use scripted phrases to get through my interactions, which may be harder for your situation but maybe still something to consider. Though I performed well enough to become "lead server," it was pretty tough on me internally and I didn't last six months before I went gladly back into the arms of a former employer.

ZeroSpace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2006, 10:57 pm

Well, I once worked as a fast food worker for almost 2 years. The one thing that helped a lot, having a way to blow off stress at home. You WILL get lots of stupid people. I can guarantee you that. And I'm not talking people that are just nervous or w/e. I mean people like, 'Oh, I need MONEY to buy this?' You will wonder how some of those people get outta bed in the morning. For the purpose of blowing off steam like that, I reccomend VG's like SOCOM or Halo. Anything where you can blast the **** outta some pixels will do the job.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 10:49 am

I worked retail on the floor. I used to get very frustrated when people interrupted my 'display building.' When I got really pissed off, I found 1 of 2 things. A spot to hide (aka a cooler) or someone to unload on (my Manager was very similar to me so he didn't mind and understood the need to unload)

Or just beat up the dry wall 8)

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 3:16 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. I think having scripted things to say would definitely help me...as would a place to hide; hope I can find one! I generally find dealing with stupid members of the public a lot easier than dealing with my co-workers, unfortunately... :?

shukri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2006, 10:38 am

You're a lot braver than I am, that's for sure .... a job like that would totally freak me out. I'm a programmer - I almost never have to talk to anyone. The few times that I've had to take a phone call from a complete stranger or go to meetings to meet clients I totally borked. :oops: