What about medical billing/coding/office administration?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

angrycat31
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2011, 7:51 pm

I'm 31, unemployed, and fed up with the real world.

On Monday, I'm going to start school for this sort of work. Any feedback/encouragement/words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I will write my butt and hope I can land an agent, or get something published, or find some way to make some sort of money. Yeah, it's pretty hard not to hate my life right now.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:33 pm

Are you good with details? I ask because the last time I went for a checkup (before my job discontinued health insurance), I had nothing but hassles from insurance. It turned out every problem could be traced back to an error in the billing/coding department. I think I would be bad at that kind of work myself as my brain tends to transpose numbers.
Welcome to Wrong Planet btw :)

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

16 Sep 2011, 1:34 am

I have done hospital admin work for a number of years. The bits I don't like are using the phone, and if the office is very noisy/busy. I have been with one agency for 2-3 years who has found me a stream of work. It's not ideal for me but has been relatively consistent and the skills are transferable e.g. teamwork, IT, office skills. My scientific background has been useful in understanding some of the medical details. I don't know about the coding/billing part as I am actually at the hospital and in the UK.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 3:47 am

i did coding for about a year, it was something i learned how to do on the job rather than going to school for it, as i was a civil service employee in an army hospital. i took to it like a duck takes to water, it was something i was good at. i only needed to look at my cheat sheet for about a week before i internalized all the codes and could recognize the categories on sight when reading the charts. i wish they didn't have a RIF [Reduction In Force], otherwise i'd still be doing it. it [my particular coding slot] was considered "scut work" and given to people with medical problems which prevented them from doing their regular work. but i sure liked it, i lost track of time when i was doing it. i just love categorizing stuff :) 8)

bingomonkey926
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

I have aspergers syndrome and went to school for Medical Billing, i had a internship at a local hospital in my town and I enjoyed it , used the phone and made appointments did general office work. I can't find a job in that field so now i am thinking about goin to school for a cna training course. I volunteer at a local nursing home and i enjoy goin there when i have an acitivity that i am doin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 2:25 am

bingomonkey926 wrote:
I have aspergers syndrome and went to school for Medical Billing, i had a internship at a local hospital in my town and I enjoyed it , used the phone and made appointments did general office work. I can't find a job in that field so now i am thinking about goin to school for a cna training course. I volunteer at a local nursing home and i enjoy goin there when i have an acitivity that i am doin.

hiya BM926 :)
welcome to the club 8)
if you're gonna be a floor nurse you will need a good pair of cushy walking shoes for you will be on your feet a lot. maybe a back/abd support as well, for lifting/moving heavy and immobile patients. also hope you have endurance and recuperative powers because if you do something like a baylor schedule [16 hrs saturday/16 hrs sunday] you will need it.

angrycat31
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2011, 4:05 pm

I am VERY good with details. I actually started the class a few weeks back and it's all coming very natural to me. Thank God.

Thanks for all the hellos.

bingomonkey926
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

i now have a part time job at my local nursing home in my town . I am a hospitatily aide and i really love it there the residents all like me and i enjoy it very much!! !! !! !! !! !! I also do some volunteering there as well so i keep myself busy all the time during the week. I have Asperger's syndrome and i get along with my coworkers and the residents so i am comfortable there if iever need help i just ask my supervisors and they help me with my questions or if ineed them to show me how to do acertian task at hand.