Ways to make income besides a job

Page 8 of 12 [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DC wrote:
noname_ever wrote:
You don't need to work a job you hate if you have a job you like. But a job you hate is better than no job or potentially SSI.

I think you are being a bit harsh noname_ever, this is an autistic site.

There is an enormous difference between "doing a job you don't like" for an NT and doing a job that cause an incredible amount of stress for an autistic person sending them into a suicidal depression.

And that was precisely what i was talking about, if I meant dislike I would have said dislike......hate I thought did a better job expressing how I feel about jobs that would cause me more stress than I could handle and bring out my symptoms.

Surely wrongplanet is somewhere that people should be making the distinction between these two thing instead of saying 'suck it up'?

For example I don't care what the salary is or what the alternative is, I am never going to do a job that requires me to come into contact with cotton wool, ever.

Does this make sense to an NT? Not in the slightest, but on wrongplanet there should be a fair amount of understanding about the stance and not just a bunch of right wing rhetoric.

I always wonder what it is one is supposed to suck up when people say that.......I mean isn't it best not to suck up unhealthy things like bad environments. I guess they mean it more like 'you should just get over it.' which is pretty obnoxious. Chances are if one could 'get over it.' they probably would unless there was some sort of huge benefit not to. But I personally do not find it fun or beneficial being distressed by crap I can't get over.

It means working at the job even though you hate it. I despised working retail/grocery, but I did for years. It paid some of the bills. I mean, i despised it. I hated facing customers directly. It was miserable, but not impossible. Many people get stuck in that position. Since many people get stuck in that position, are forced to go through with it, they end up lacking sympathy for those who refuse to, aspie or not.

It still wasn't as bad as the bakery though. Very loud noises, back breaking work, and the low class coworkers (I had extreme social anxiety and didn't interact well with them) and a swing shift that varied each week. It was a truly god awful experience. It provided money though even if I had to go through hell to earn it.

Those jobs still provide me the inspiration (fear as well) to avoid ever going back to that situation.

Ideally you end up with a job you like or can tolerate.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

DC wrote:
noname_ever wrote:
You don't need to work a job you hate if you have a job you like. But a job you hate is better than no job or potentially SSI.

There is an enormous difference between "doing a job you don't like" for an NT and doing a job that cause an incredible amount of stress for an autistic person sending them into a suicidal depression.

Surely wrongplanet is somewhere that people should be making the distinction between these two thing instead of saying 'suck it up'?

For example I don't care what the salary is or what the alternative is, I am never going to do a job that requires me to come into contact with cotton wool, ever.

Does this make sense to an NT? Not in the slightest, but on wrongplanet there should be a fair amount of understanding about the stance and not just a bunch of right wing rhetoric.

The salary does matter if you complain that SSI is subsistence living and doesn't provide a lifestyle you can live with. Increasing SSI benefits runs the risk of backlash from the tax payers too. Look at the Scott Walker recall election. The public sector's demands got rebuked by the people paying the bill.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm

noname_ever wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DC wrote:
noname_ever wrote:

And that was precisely what i was talking about, if I meant dislike I would have said dislike......hate I thought did a better job expressing how I feel about jobs that would cause me more stress than I could handle and bring out my symptoms.

I always wonder what it is one is supposed to suck up when people say that.......I mean isn't it best not to suck up unhealthy things like bad environments. I guess they mean it more like 'you should just get over it.' which is pretty obnoxious. Chances are if one could 'get over it.' they probably would unless there was some sort of huge benefit not to. But I personally do not find it fun or beneficial being distressed by crap I can't get over.

It means working at the job even though you hate it. I despised working retail/grocery, but I did for years. It paid some of the bills. I mean, i despised it. I hated facing customers directly. It was miserable, but not impossible. Many people get stuck in that position. Since many people get stuck in that position, are forced to go through with it, they end up lacking sympathy for those who refuse to, aspie or not.

It still wasn't as bad as the bakery though. Very loud noises, back breaking work, and the low class coworkers (I had extreme social anxiety and didn't interact well with them) and a swing shift that varied each week. It was a truly god awful experience. It provided money though even if I had to go through hell to earn it.

Those jobs still provide me the inspiration (fear as well) to avoid ever going back to that situation.

Ideally you end up with a job you like or can tolerate.

What makes you think I was looking for sympathy, the topic clearly says 'ways to make income besides a job.' not 'have sympathy for my plight' or whatever you interpreted it as. I mean I said I wouldn't mow lawns, how its turned into you practically demanding I accept any job no matter how unbearable it is and keep working that job is a little bit unclear. I mean I would probably be fired anyways, because as I already explained what I mean by hating certain jobs is if they set off my symptoms then I can't function well enough to get the work done...so then people get on me for being too slow which I really can't help especially the more distressful the environment is.

Your sympathy or lack thereof for people who haven't been as successful or able to tolerate jobs they hate as you have is quite irrelevant to this thread.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:44 pm

Sympathy in this case didn't mean you were looking for it. It means that the people around you may not be sympathetic to your plight (ie, they don't care). Also, what's wrong with being fired when first starting out?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:54 pm

noname_ever wrote:
Sympathy in this case didn't mean you were looking for it. It means that the people around you may not be sympathetic to your plight (ie, they don't care). Also, what's wrong with being fired when first starting out?

I already knew that, of course people don't care.....anyways I don't know I guess it just kind of sucks. Especially when they lie about why.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

Around here, you might need driving ability for this, but there's places that sell windows/siding, and go around neighborhoods knocking on people's doors asking them to buy windows. It's usually scripted sales, arranging an appointment. These jobs are VERY easy to get, and usually pay above minimum, but most people don't last long at them, usually only a couple months. But, they'll basically hire anyone. All they want is shotgun marketting. Same thing with magazines, same kinda thing.

As far as your social skills, it doesn't matter really. All those jobs are usually full of weird awkward people. One time a magazine salesman walked up to me in my neighborhood as I was going to my car and asked "Are you friendly and nonviolent?" I'm like "Uh...sure?" "Well we're looking for all the friendly and nonviolent people in this neighborhood." I just was like "Dude I got no money for magazines" after I saw his paper. Another one said if I bought magazines from him, I'd get a sticker on my door that said I bought magazines so other magazine salesman couldn't bother me. Doesn't need social skills, just balls, those sort of jobs. My last job selling windows, cold calls was the only hard part, as it'd be like "What, you're calling now, dude I went to that fair 2 years ago, I don't want your damned windows." and I couldn't think of anything besides "Yeah, you're kinda right there." Another time a lady on the phone was like "I have cancer." And then my boss was like "You should have went through the script more with her." "But she has cancer." "So, she still needs windows!"

It's not really a "hard" job, you don't get tons of hours, you can get commission, or they'll pay you cash, let's say $100 per fair you sit down in the booth. Things like that.

But all those people that you see bothering you doing door to door sales, for windows, siding, electricity plans, etc, those are possible jobs. VERY temporary jobs, but an easy way to get 400-500 in a month cash for something.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
noname_ever wrote:

I already knew that, of course people don't care.....anyways I don't know I guess it just kind of sucks. Especially when they lie about why.

No one said getting fired feels good. However, it's not as if you just completed PhD and found out you can't work in your chosen field. Mow lawns and maybe quit or get fired. If it's not for you, try another job like painting houses and repeat the process. Get fired and move on to another job and eventually you might find something you like or tolerate even when you don't expect to. It also allows you to build up credit in your state's unemployment system.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 3:50 pm

noname_ever wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
noname_ever wrote:

No one said getting fired feels good. However, it's not as if you just completed PhD and found out you can't work in your chosen field. Mow lawns and maybe quit or get fired. If it's not for you, try another job like painting houses and repeat the process. Get fired and move on to another job and eventually you might find something you like or tolerate even when you don't expect to. It also allows you to build up credit in your state's unemployment system.

I never said anyone did say it felt good, or that it was like completing a PhD and finding out I can't work in my chosen field. I already explained why mowing lawns is not my plan...so quit demanding that I do that, and acting like it's the only choice I possibly have. I mean I basically have already said my plan is to give painting a try so I don't see what your point is with pushing the lawn mowing thing when I've already explained I am not going to do that.

Also I don't think you get unemployment for unprofessionally mowing peoples lawns or doing other odd jobs for a bit of cash. If you're so adamant about lawn mowing why don't you go get that job?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah I am sure being in a sh***y environment really allows for a lot of growth....that proves untrue in my case. I don't want my mind occupied by work I don't like and fellow employees that treat me like crap I am already mentally ill I don't need to add to it that way. Also if you're here to preach about how wrong it is to use the social safety network this is not the thread for you...I didn't post this so some jerk could try and make me feel bad about considering applying for it. I guess I should just live my life for whats best for everyone else and disregard my own needs :roll:.

I mean I think if it comes down to mowing lawns or getting SSI I'll go for the SSI...better for me and others because its better if I don't go over the edge and possibly cause harm to anyone :twisted: .

So because you don't want your mind occupied by the work you don't like, you get to take the social safety net that others work to contribute to?

That's sad. I go to work 5 days a week, I don't like it all the time, I go to meetings and they are the last things I want to do, but I do them because sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.

I wish I could quit my job and take welfare so I could only do the things I like to do; but the world doesn't work that way.

Social safety is for those who truly need it; and even those should give back as much as they can (volunteer, etc). People who truly need it, I have no problem with taxes paying to help them.

I was raised that you do whatever job you can to provide for yourself. You don't take hand outs unless you have no other option.

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2012, 4:19 pm

She suffers from chronic depression and PTSD. People stop it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 4:22 pm

Quantum_Immortal wrote:
She suffers from chronic depression and PTSD. People stop it.

I Somehow I get the sense you aren't being sincere and are more making fun of me, I hope I am wrong.

Sandee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 12:58 am

edgewaters wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Also what would be the point of spending a large chunck of my time at a job I hate?

Well, that's what people do, to have food and shelter and all that. I don't think there are that many people that really enjoy work. Most people hate it.

YES, that is what people do. Most people have jobs they HATE. This is why it is called a JOB and not a career. Very few people have it nice to have a career. I'd rather have a job that I hate and know that I'm earning my money than get on SSI. Besides, on SSI you can only get about $700 or may be $900 a month. What kind of income is that? Working full-time 40 hours a week at min wage ($8 per hour in CA) is about $900 or $1K a month net. You have a much better chance at getting more than $800 a month if you work.

But if you absolutely can not work at all -- doing ANYTHING . . .then I'd say that the SSI. But SSI is not for people that do not want to work it is for people that can not work at any job. SO if you can push a broom but you hate doing that, this is a job. If you can type but hate it, that is a job as well.

Getting along with others is a major concern. I wish more of these people that decide on who can and can not work would understand that some people - don't have very good people skills and that these people just need to find the rightkinds of jobs - far far away from many people - that way they can work and earn a living without having the "need" to work with people. Not all people are ment to work with people. It's time for our world to wake up. But SSI is still not for people that do not "Want to" work. A lot of people are lazy and don't want to work.

Sandee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 1:04 am

Quantum_Immortal wrote:
@Sandee
@edgewaters
So, if we don't have a job, we are lazy?

I don't know where you got that from. I'm saying that sometimes people want to get on SSI since they "hate" to work. They don't want to work. I never said people who can NOT work are lazy. I know plenty of people on SSI and they are not lazy and they CAN NOT work at all. And there are plenty of people that ARE on SSI that volunteer at various places.

But when people use SSI and say "I hate to work, I don't want THAT JOB" that just SOUNDS like a person that does not want to work and makes it sound like they want a free ride. This is why it is called work. Most people do not "like" there jobs OR there bosses. But it is work and you get paid for it. People that have careers are the lucky or blessed ones. Not everyone has a career. I just posted a new post, hopefully that will help you to understand.

Sandee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 1:09 am

Quantum_Immortal wrote:
@Sandee
@edgewaters
So, if we don't have a job, we are lazy?

My short answer is this. She was asking about how to make money with out a job. Other than being on SSI or robbing a bank, I don't know how one can make or get money other than working for it. That is why I posted what I did. I still do not know where you go the "lazy" idea if you are not working if you can not work.

had she not asked the question nor posted it up, I would have not answered her question.

Sandee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 1:15 am

hanyo wrote:
I'd much rather get ssi than a job I hate. A job I hate wouldn't last anyways. I'd either get fired or quit.

Right now I'm supported by my mother and when she is gone if she can't leave me anything and I can't get ssi I'll be screwed because I can't work. I'll end up homeless and may as well off myself then.

that is the lazy man's way out of a JOB Hanyo!! Most people have jobs they HATE. SSI is NOT for people that don't want "That" job and it is not for people to get out of a job they "hate".

SSI is for people that CAN NOT work at all. You don't need to "off yourself". What you need to do is look for work like me and apply to jobs like crazy and keep on looking for a job so you can live and no have to depend on your mother. I'm in the same boat. If I don't find a job, guess what? I will be homeless if my mom dies. She's almost 60. But I keep on looking for a job.

I've been unemployed from full-time work for 5 years and people think I'm way overqualified for any job. But I keep on looking for a job. I don't need SSI. I need a job.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 1:31 am

Sandee wrote:
I'd rather have a job that I hate and know that I'm earning my money than get on SSI.

I really don't care either way. This economy is phony; it's a game. People aren't valued for what they produce, they are valued for their skill at this game. That's also the hiring and advancement criteria. So little of the economy produces anything of value. We can meet all our needs with a workforce that's maybe 5 or 10 percent of its present size. The reason for the game is to provide some (rather flimsy) reasoning to the distribution of wealth - that is all. It's a giant make-work project. I honestly don't care where my money comes from, just that it comes.

Quote:
Besides, on SSI you can only get about $700 or may be $900 a month. What kind of income is that? Working full-time 40 hours a week at min wage ($8 per hour in CA) is about $900 or $1K a month net. You have a much better chance at getting more than $800 a month if you work.

And that, is why I work. More money, more independance, more security. Food and shelter, without needing to rely on others to provide it or share rent or whatever - because there are always problems relying on people. In principle I have nothing against assistance, it's just not enough money to survive on, and, it's always getting worse, they've been letting that atrophy for years, it's never kept up with increases in cost of living, and that's the future you have to look forward to on it. One of ever-increasing poverty. That is, if we aren't overtaken by some corporate dictatorship that just cuts everyone off, turns them out on the street, and then waits for everyone to die, because they don't need that many workers. To be dependant is to be a liability and human nature being what it is, that means you aren't safe.