Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

fireball5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2013, 12:46 pm

Aster college I was unemployed for several months, it was really bad, then I was invited for a job interview, I think it was the fourth or fifth interview, and I got the job. Although it's not the job of my dreams, I really like it.

MissMichal
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2013, 7:51 pm

I've just landed a job after a six-month search. I'll be an editor, IT troubleshooter, and administrative assistant at a small magazine publisher. The job posting came to me through my state Workforce Services. I took a few workshops with them and, while they didn't really give me any new information, they helped light a fire under me and helped me stay motivated.

I got laid off from my previous two jobs (reduction in force), which was a real blow to my identity and self-esteem. That happens to everyone, but it's really, really hard for an Aspie. I found both those jobs by letting everyone know that I was looking for work. And when I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE. When I didn't want to say YET AGAIN that I was looking for work, I did it anyway, and a fellow I knew at my AA meeting introduced me to the company I just spent 18 months with.

Everyone with whom you come into contact should know that you're looking for work. That's my advice, anyway. Prepare an "elevator pitch" and practice it so you can get used to talking about your strengths. I found a lot of help at Workforce Services. I also recommend looking up your state Vocational Rehabilitation program, which helps individuals with disabilities find work. Best of luck!

Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
--Shel Silverstein

bamboohub
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2013, 11:24 am

i dont think it is the case
when you have the know how required
for a job, you will get the employment.

I beleive in self employment and innovation

Guys seat down and create something ,

you will succeed it is very sure u will

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 5:09 pm

I was fortunate, I suppose, in the Louis Pasteur sense: "chance favors the prepared mind."

I'm not particularly likeable, but I can try to simulate a normal human being enough to do customer service stuff, if I'm not doing it for too many years. That's the preparation bit I suppose.

The chance bit is: I do random stuff with computers. Some of the skills are very specialized, and in a few very specialized areas, those skills are in high demand.

Between paying steady work, I did what I could to ensure that I was not at home stagnating, stewing in my own "f**k I'm still not employed"ness. It was ideal when the way not to do such was to be playing video games, but some days I lost that battle :D

But by and large, I think the correct strategy is to pursue work rather than just "find" it. Your resumes should be tailored to show your best side for any given job application. Make sure you can walk the walk as per your resume, not just put buzzwords in because it could look employable. Consider applicant selection as a successive set of filters.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 10:57 pm

AngelKnight wrote:
I was fortunate, I suppose, in the Louis Pasteur sense: "chance favors the prepared mind."

But by and large, I think the correct strategy is to pursue work rather than just "find" it. Your resumes should be tailored to show your best side for any given job application. Make sure you can walk the walk as per your resume, not just put buzzwords in because it could look employable. Consider applicant selection as a successive set of filters.

I advocate seeing if your municipality has an employment or career center. Mine helped me with my interview skills for the first several of my fifty interviews. Even if your social circle is limited, tell anyone and everyone you are looking for work. Don't totally ignore monster and indeed, but if you see something there, call the employer with a list of a couple questions so that you can better know the job, if it is relevant to do so.

Once you have a job, if you can, go to college or a technical training center so as you can get a better job. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. And once you do get this job, and if you don't like it DO NOT QUIT TIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE LINED UP. Sorry that that was all in caps, but I had to emphasize it. Job search while you are employed after you have been there for several months because, it is much easier to find a job or land an interview while you are already working.

Aspie test: 84/200 aspie
NT score 109/200
You have aspie and NT traits

I love to read, sing and laugh out loud!
I love the original Star Wars movie.
One day, I would love to play the ukelele.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 10:59 pm

I really liked angelknight's response. Meant to talk about it in my last post, but tailoring is absolutely essential. When you tailor your resume, it says that you care about the organization.