Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 10:11 am

ASMJT wrote:
mittens87 wrote:
Manufacturing Engineer, CNC Programmer. I program horizontal mills, a 5 axis mill turn machine, and a 3 turret twin spindle lathe.
I love my job but I definitely agree with Drehmaschine that it is a very stressful one. All it takes is one slip up to make some very very unhappy people.

Another CNC machinist! I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. It's a good occupation for an aspie mind. For me, I can visualize parts in my mind and section them, like a mental Solidworks of sorts. I wonder if there are any Swiss lathe machinists on here? I worked with them for a few months, but ended up leaving the company.

Not yet with Swiss lathes, but they look like they would be a Braingasm.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2013, 10:34 am

mittens87 wrote:
LOL Practical Machinist should just become part of this site. If you've ever been on there you'll know what I mean immediately.
As far as the Swiss lathes go, I've never had the opportunity to play with those. I live right near Gleason, I would love to play with their machines too. I have to become more familiar with everything going on behind the scenes in the controls before I move on to different jobs and machines. (meaning parameter editing, becoming fully proficient at writing macros, idiot proofing processes)

Oh yes, I know exactly what mean about Practical Machinist, lol. I'm the same way when it comes to learning different controls. One thing that annoys me to no end, is even though G&M is fairly standardized, it still widely varies between controllers of different manufacturers. That's why I prefer Fanuc controls.

Drehmaschine wrote:
Not yet with Swiss lathes, but they look like they would be a Braingasm.

Oh, they are! Operating and set-up of proven programs is fairly user-friendly. They have windows-based, conversational controls. The programming is very complex, and if I remember correctly, the G codes go up to G999. I had a print-out of all of the G codes to study, but lost it after I moved. One of the quirkiest things new operators always screw up, is remembering that the Z axis is opposite of conventional lathe machining, because your material is the actual Z axis.

mittens87
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

Drehmaschine wrote:
mittens87 wrote:
Manufacturing Engineer, CNC Programmer. I program horizontal mills, a 5 axis mill turn machine, and a 3 turret twin spindle lathe.
I love my job but I definitely agree with Drehmaschine that it is a very stressful one. All it takes is one slip up to make some very very unhappy people.

I think someone else said that. I don't find it stressful at all but I can see why people say it is. I love my lathes and rather work with them than people any day. They don't judge you for being different.

Oh, I apologize for misquoting you. Dealing with the machines isn't all that stressful, but working with operators and all the paperwork associated with aerospace is most certainly stressful. Especially when I do things that go right over a lot of peoples heads. It's taken me a lot of time to build credibility due to my age and my "unique" way of communicating. I'm also the youngest person in my group at work by more than 10 years.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm

I wish I could say I had an occupation, but as it stands now, it looks like I won't ever be able to work because of my Asperger's. I have a hearing coming up for SSI, so we'll see how that goes.

Marylandman889
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2013, 12:48 am

I'm a Café Server. I just help with what is going on the café where I work at.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2013, 7:55 am

I kind of randomly acquired my job when I was 17. I attended an origami program at the library and brought my work with me. It turned out to be a disappointment because they weren't that skilled or interested, but the librarians invited me back to teach a class, and then they asked me to fill out an application if I was interested. I've been working there ever since, but I have a stack of bad evaluations and complaint forms on me a mile long. I tend to have a few months or so at a time where I go through a bad phase and right now is one of them, there is also the possibility that if I don't pass a class on library science that I may lose my job anyway.

The most ideal and easily available job I'd like is computer repair as a member of a company, so I'd have my own space to repair a computer, but with minimal interaction with the public and still get paid fairly well. I think I would get along better with staff there as well.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2013, 9:44 pm

I'm doing a graduate course with a research component, which I consider to be my full-time job. I will hopefully be able to add some lab demonstrating to that next semester, if not I can do some private tutoring to supplement my government payments.

Previously I spent my last year of high school and all of my undergrad working at a supermarket, mostly in the deli but occasionally drifting into stints in grocery (filling shelves). It was quite stressful and I don't regret quitting in the slightest, although I am finding it hard to get used to reduced income. I also spent a year holding an elected student rep position at my university with a small honoraria (which I guess makes it a job), which I enjoyed (especially the admin) but I couldn't handle a time commitment like that alongside a full time graduate course.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2013, 1:22 am

Software Engineer.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 115 of 200
Both Aspie and neurotypical traits
Autistic characteristics: No communication by facial expression or tone of voice. Direct eye gaze.

threequarters
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2013, 11:23 am

celiacheung85 wrote:
I am a freelance translator. :wink:

Me too!

kaizen310
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2013, 2:13 am

Apple technician

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 10:17 am

Health Physicist

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 12:37 pm

I'm actually a therapist. Kind of a tough job for someone who has a hard time relating to people, but there are several benefits:
1) It forces me to be social and I've been able to translate a lot of my therapist skills into my personal life (I still have a hard time initiating conversations, but, if someone approaches me, I can maintain them okay). I've actually come to learn quite a bit about human behavior from my work/studies!
2) The forms we use to intake new clients helps me to build that new rapport and, if I flub something or upset someone with a question, I can just blame the form!
3) I never know what to say to people, so I will oftentimes just rephrase what they've told me. I don't always "get it", but it helps them to keep talking and hear their own words.
4) I hear a lot of terrible things all day long and, although upsetting, I typically don't have an obvious immediate response. Clients feel comfortable telling me more terrible things that upset them because I can clearly handle it! (admittedly, I do have trouble expressing/dealing with my own emotions around this down the road... still working at this part).
5) I love working with Aspies! It's my favorite diagnosis to work with!

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 10:54 pm

So, I am a low level manager in a children's department of a public library. Working in a library is not a quiet job, contrary to the general public opinion. I often feel that I do a lot of public programs. Now my job is a lot quieter than my last job. My probation is up in six weeks. Please pray that I pass this one. Because I love where I am and like the coworkers too. I purchase books, run programs, supervise a couple staff and that is nearly it! I also sometimes sit on committees with other individuals from other municipal agencies.

Pet peeve... when I go out of my way to create programs and they are not appreciated.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2013, 6:23 pm

I do clerical work at a clinic. I send things to mail out, file paperwork, and do computer work. I also work the reception desk when needed. I have a co-worker who is one of my closest friends, and we sometimes hang out together. I work 6 hours a day, 4 days a weeks. The only downside, though, is my job is 40 miles away from where I live, so I'm working on find a job that is closer to home.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2013, 11:50 pm

angelbee, that is wonderful that you work in a daycare. I actually worked in a daycare for years. I started at age 14! I remember my mother telling me that I had to be nice to the kids, blah, blah, blah (my mother is crazy, no doubt)...she thought I would be mean to them or something...on the other hand, my NT sister started at the same time. She was the "normal and sweet one" in the family. I lasted over 6 years and loved every minute of it...the kids loved me too...my only issue was EXACTLY the same as yours...I had NO CLUE what to say to the parents...but with the kiddos, no problem.

PS - my NT sister lasted a whole week and she left because she couldn't deal with it lol

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

I work as a full time bookkeeper/tax advisor/salary administrator/secretary/accountant at a small company that helps other companies/people with their taxes and financial stuff. I'm kinda like the jack of all trades there.