Emotional benefits of employment (for Aspies)?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

glow
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 4:30 pm

Of course there are. Like a pay check, would always come in handy once in a while, and well ground-breaking reality you have a job? I would say that able bodied people run the tasks of getting jobs done, whilst less able bodied people perhaps feel, they are at a loss and therefore cant cope. On the flipside, a positive mental attitude can mean anything to almost anyone, I prefer a caring person, who gives and takes, flexible initiative is key in employment and shouldn't just be reserved for mothers and others. Most people use absence and sickness as a doorstop when there are people who are working flat out to do a job well done, from cleaning tables to launching a missile into space lets say and where s the positive march for victory?
Id say emotional benefits come with a price tag. so really, if you happen to be in for good statutory pay and pension benefits then the reality is feeding off someone elses income as an emotional tool to provide safer leaner boundaries is like taking the time to slap a your manager in the face and yell, 'what tf do you do for me anyway? do you run my life?' people should just save face and let the cork grind back at the wheel or let fate deal another strike somewhere else.

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2013, 11:07 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Maybe it's due to a lack of the other end of the equation: loved ones, family, friends/active social life. With a family et al maybe there's a strong feeling of equity, "I'm suffering now, but it's worth it because my family is very important to me and providing for them make me feel good." Without that or something similar you're just suffering to avoid suffering more (sleeping on the street or starving). There's only the avoidance of bad consequences, rather than motivation coming from positive reasons that make the future seem like a good thing.

This is certainly one reason, although it can be said in more simple terms: survival by itself isn't valuable if your daily experience consists of 80% pain (in it's multitudinous shapes and intensities), 19% feeling neutral(-ish) and 1% feeling good(-ish), and if you also expect this to largely remain thus until the day you die.
I think this is the root of confusion (and of patronizing, ignorant advice or criticism): most people don't understand what it is like to live like that, day in, day out. They simply don't get how lucky they actually are. They assume their limited exposure to pain has provided them with an understanding of the full extent of the experience. They assume that because they found a way out of a bad experience, everyone else who doesn't is either lazy or stupid.
A person's qualities and effort matter little in comparison to the fundamental experience of reality.

indianadowjones
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2013, 2:30 am

This would contradict my previous profession as a financial advisor, and working in a grocery store; I mainly want a job where I can work hard and just be left alone.

It sucks to walk into work and feel defeated already.