What do you like/dislike about your current/past job(s)?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 11:08 am

I like feeling independent.
I dislike losing my freedom, having to be somewhere for 8 or more hours.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 11:19 am

justkillingtime wrote:
I like feeling independent.
I dislike losing my freedom, having to be somewhere for 8 or more hours.

I think you nailed it. As much as I like my current job, it is something of a ball and chain.

As far as being independent goes, I think it is important to save as much of our earnings as possible, as well as taking other steps, to ensure we are as independent as possible from having to depend on others for our sustenance.

cjbella
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2013, 11:31 am

The very long hours. I work weekends at an adult foster care home, and have to sleep onsite. Well, I don't usually sleep much. I've been on these hours for about seven months, and I think I am at the end of my rope. It is very uncomfortable to have to sleep in a bed that three other people (other overnight employees) sleep in regularly. Sleeping is hard enough. Also, I cannot stand not having time to do my usual grooming routines. The job itself is pretty nice, though I do get very tired from dealing with all of the autism in my life haha. I really do need a break though.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

I used to work retail -- gave that up years ago though -- and I HATED it. I was the store clerk hiding in the stockroom busying myself with stock checks and ordering, or in the quietest corner doing something with shelves, instead of being out on the "floor" ready to help people. When I was helping customers, don't get me wrong, I was rising to the occasion, being pleasant and friendly and, well, helpful -- but it was an enormous strain. Among the worst jobs for someone on the spectrum, I think, although I had no idea, all those years, that I was on the spectrum, making it doubly stressful for me in wondering why I couldn't handle these jobs psychologically.

I also relate to the whole "being stuck in one place for 8 hours" -- every time I started a new job, I would look around and feel like I'd just been sentenced to this place as a jail every day for the foreseeable future. A dismal, trapped feeling.

I'm self employed now and it's a much more free feeling, although the downside is that I make less money, have more paperwork regarding taxes, and there's no such thing as paid vacation time for me. So up until recently I worked fifteen years without a break, no vacation, nothing. But I've stuck at it longer than any of the conventional jobs I hated, so that tells you a lot about how much more at peace I feel.