Anyone working with children 6wks to 6yrs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

HarrisDE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2013, 3:16 pm

Hello all,

I have just started at a new position where I am working with kids, ages 6 weeks to 6 years. I have worked mostly with ages 3-6 at this Child Development Center.

I'm finding that, for the most part, I'm doing quite well after a few weeks. I'm worried that my coworkers, supervisors, manager, and the parents will begin to notice my weaknesses.

I'm debating whether or not I should disclose, in a positive way, my AS with my new employer. The last job I had, which I held when I received my diagnosis, was not very understanding, if not completely contradictory, and willing to get rid of me because of the legal mine-field they'd created for themselves.

As Rudy Simone discusses in "Asperger's on the Job," this a very touchy area, because if there is nothing wrong, why rock the boat, but why take the chance at misunderstanding when subtle disclosure could preempt it.

The thing is, at the Child Development Center, there is naturally a strong concentration on behavior. This leads me to think that they would be quite sensitive to my diagnosis. However, I have received very little conducive feedback when bringing up the subject of autism awareness.

I would appreciate any opinions on this matter.

Thanks!

-J Harris

SphinxFace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

I've seen advice like this before for a different situation but I think it has the potential to be effective. You could mention to your employers that you know of someone who is working with children and has Aspergers or some other disorder and guage their reaction. If its positive you may feel more comfortable divulging your own situation, if unresponsive/negative then maybe it's not a good idea. Of course if the idea of telling a white lie like this makes you severely uncomfortable this tactic won't work...

If there is one aspect you struggle with you can discuss that specific issue with them without mentioning your spesific diagnosis. Help them understand that's just how you are and maybe find compromise?

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 5:50 pm

I work with children and adolescents and have for some time... I took a chance last week and disclosed and it went very well. Turns out my supervisor was very tuned in to my behaviors and had already figured it out! She was, though, very happy that I had trusted her enough to tell her. To be fair, I am a therapist, so this is kind of what we do anyway, but if you're working at a site where they specialize in child development they may eventually come to the same conclusion...
I actually lent my supervisor the Rudy Simone book you mentioned (Asperger's on the Job) and she was very appreciative!

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

I am all for disclosures, personally. I did a series of soft disclosures where I just discussed the symptoms. But I want to name it too.

I would wait til you have been there a month.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 5:24 am

managertina wrote:
I am all for disclosures, personally. I did a series of soft disclosures where I just discussed the symptoms.

Come to think of it, I may have been doing this too without really thinking about it...