Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

CoffeeBeans
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2013, 5:07 am

After years of not working due to my child not getting on in childcare (asd and adhd), I got accepted as a stand-in classroom support at a special school. After only a couple of weeks they told the agency they don't want me anymore. They said I was great with the kids but lacked classroom experience. I said I felt I'd been a little socially awkward and they said yeah it seems that's what the school picked up on. When I asked what was specifically said they just repeated that the school felt I needed more classroom experience. I'm devestated. I thought I was good at the job and I was happy to take orders and help where I saw the opportunity to. I just didn't socially click was all. But I didn't exactly have much chance to seeing as how I was put in a different classroom each session! I did my absolute best and it wasn't good enough as usual. I feel so sad. I don't want any friends knowing as I'm too embarrassed. I feel like such a failure. I'm sick of being the weirdo with the bratty kid who drain society, living off benefits and always falling out with people. I'm not wanted or useful in the community and nothing I try seems to work out to make that better :-(

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 11:03 am

I know what you mean about being embarrassed to tell your friends. I have a habit of getting overly excited about things and telling everyone, and I've certainly had my share of job failures. All I can say is to keep moving forward. This didn't work out, so look for something else. I think there's a poignant quote, but I can't remember it - however, the gist of it is that "it's not what happens to you, it's how you handle it."

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Oct 2013, 12:17 pm

Someone very close to me got let go because she didn't socially click (clique?)

Very maddening. I think there are just some bad managers out there and it is hard to find a good one.

The other thing is that she got blamed for things left and right, probably because of her social status.

Edit: But one of the stated reasons was she didn't fit in socially with the group.

Last edited by b_edward on 22 Oct 2013, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 12:23 pm

Sadly, in American culture you are more likely hired/retained/promoted based on how well you are liked than your actual ability to do the job.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 12:24 pm

Were the agency or the school aware of your autism? Because if they know you have a disability and they let you go BECAUSE of that disability, that is an act of discrimination and it's illegal.

Not to mention the stupid transparent BS of firing someone because they lack 'experience', when the only place they could gain experience is on that specific job. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 3:13 pm

BS excuse. They hired you knowing your lack of experience.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

22 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

CoffeeBeans wrote:
After years of not working due to my child not getting on in childcare (asd and adhd), I got accepted as a stand-in classroom support at a special school. After only a couple of weeks they told the agency they don't want me anymore. They said I was great with the kids but lacked classroom experience. I said I felt I'd been a little socially awkward and they said yeah it seems that's what the school picked up on. When I asked what was specifically said they just repeated that the school felt I needed more classroom experience. I'm devestated. I thought I was good at the job and I was happy to take orders and help where I saw the opportunity to. I just didn't socially click was all. But I didn't exactly have much chance to seeing as how I was put in a different classroom each session! I did my absolute best and it wasn't good enough as usual. I feel so sad. I don't want any friends knowing as I'm too embarrassed. I feel like such a failure. I'm sick of being the weirdo with the bratty kid who drain society, living off benefits and always falling out with people. I'm not wanted or useful in the community and nothing I try seems to work out to make that better :-(

I had that issue in the legal industry. Nobody would hire me due to lack of experience and social awkwardness. I had excellent grades in college. The lawyer who I did my practicum with and the office girls and my former instructors know full well what I am doing now.....using my legal assistant skills and training NOT in a law firm but in warehousing. I am now a senior shipper receiver in the whole company and make more than those girls in the law firms plus better benefits. I say THEIR LOSS, my current employers GAIN. If professional businesses and firms keep slamming the door on people due to lack of experience, they are going to have one heck of a battle when the older people retire and all the young people they slammed the door on refuse to work for them since they may have well just threw their hands in the air and walked away from the profession they studied for and gone into the trades.

CoffeeBeans

23 Oct 2013, 2:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I still haven't told anyone, just don't know how.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 2:33 pm

CoffeeBeans wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I still haven't told anyone, just don't know how.

This is a "how to disclose" for an interview
http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/disc ... -9431.html

I do have a couple of people I do want to disclose to because I they have been there for me for decades and I think it would be unfair not to tell them about a major part of my life. But the syndrome is so complicated and everybody does not have ALL the traits plus the public perception is at best only partially accurate and misleading plenty of time.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 8:52 am

Forkliftoperator wrote:
I had that issue in the legal industry. Nobody would hire me due to lack of experience and social awkwardness. I had excellent grades in college. The lawyer who I did my practicum with and the office girls and my former instructors know full well what I am doing now.....using my legal assistant skills and training NOT in a law firm but in warehousing. I am now a senior shipper receiver in the whole company and make more than those girls in the law firms plus better benefits. I say THEIR LOSS, my current employers GAIN. If professional businesses and firms keep slamming the door on people due to lack of experience, they are going to have one heck of a battle when the older people retire and all the young people they slammed the door on refuse to work for them since they may have well just threw their hands in the air and walked away from the profession they studied for and gone into the trades.

Sounds like something I could have almost written word for word (also a "senior" shipper/receiver). Every single F-ing big company slammed the door in my face after they met me in person like I had leprosy because I had no "network" or experience, despite superior qualifications. The ironic thing is now I've been encouraged to try again to go for it now that I have "real" experience. Why would I take a pay cut to work at a job that is practically modern slavery when I was told to piss off years eariler? I've noticed all those in my "chosen" industry (Banking) are going to Asia to import temporary workers because they "can't find anyone" in Canada qualified to do the work. While I'm glad these Asian workers are finding work, it is frustrating beyond belief when I'm standing right there and nobody would even give me a chance. I even went to a bank recently and nobody knew what compound interest was and I had to explain how a TFSA worked. I angrily replied "you wouldn't hire me without any experience, yet you don't even know what any idiot can figure out on their first month of class!" I was FURIOUS and even though I don't desire working at a bank, it gets me angry to think that they required experience, even if you were a complete f***** moron.

Just found out our union has come to an agreement on a new deal and that means a big healthy raise, which is my 6th in 6 years. If I worked at the bank I would be making the same crummy wage while I was forced to move across Canada multiple times whereas I work in a place where I am VERY well respected. I raise my middle finger to Canada's banking sector and laugh as you continue to be unable to find any "qualified" candidates. Forkliftoperater is bang on, these companies are going to realize their mistake but it will be too late as the brightest and best have permanently turned their back on the white collar corporate world. If a bank manager were to personally deliver a job offer to me I would tell them to stick that offer where the sun doesn't shine.

CoffeeBeans

26 Oct 2013, 5:01 am

Sad for those who have been through this, but glad you posted so I know its not just me. In the end posting here helped me to keep quiet long enough to accept it, cope, and think of a way to deal with it. I've lied, and after convincing one person, I was confident to tell a few more people quite easily! I rarely lie as its hard work, stresses me out, and is hard to keep on top of. But this time I thought it through for a few days and realised that's exactly what most other people would do! Most people I know don't open up to public humiliation, they cover it up - so I will too! I picked a simple lie and half convinced myself it was true. Hopefully I will push the truth to the back of my mind and keep my mouth shut about it. I am sad enough without opening myself to judgement and criticism. Those things won't help me improve or change the situation.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 1:51 pm

A long time ago I worked in a kindergarten class as a teachers aid and I got fired because I built a cube out of sticks and the teacher told me that the children could not understand 3 dimensional objects but rather only simple 2 dimensional objects like squares. The teacher told me that I was rebellious.

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

My boss started out as a teachers aid but due to the lack of experience issue and having the door slammed in his face, he walked away and went into parts. He is now the parts manager.it seems to be the norm up here in Alberta......study, get a degree, have the door slammed in your face due to lack of experience, walk away, go into the trades or work on the rigs, make more money, and when those who rejected you come crying, tell them too bad so sad, you told me to piss off so now I'm telling you to do the same.Like I said before, if you want better job security, you may just have to walk away from your studied profession and get into the trades. If you are physically fit, strong, willing to work hard, and can get the job done, nobody is going to give a damn about autism or social difficulties.....because their main concern is getting the job done right and making money.