Fear of losing job because of illness

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2013, 8:34 am

I've been feeling ill for two weeks, today is the third day that I stayed home on sick leave. I went to the doctor last week, he gave me antibiotics, two days off and told me to come back if I don't feel better after 3 days. While on the antibiotics, I was able to be at work for thursday and friday, but the medicine finished on saturday. Yesterday, I began to feel the illness coming back slight and after some emotional stress from yesterday, I relapsed today. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow and he will do blood tests.

I feel bad for being away from work so much even though I am not working on any urgent projects. My boss is very lenient but I don't want her to feel like I'm taking advantage of her kindness. Note: she does not know that I am an aspie. She has good relationships with all of her employees but I feel that we have one of the worse ones because of my inability to perform socially and not handling the current situation as well as I feel I should.

The reason I fear for being fired is because, like I said, the company is rather lenient and accommodating. I have my details at a human resources company who found me the job after a week of working with them; as well since starting my career 7 months ago, I received 2 job offers from companies who got my details from the HR company and my old college; so finding work won't be hard.

EDIT: From self diagnosis, I think I may have hepatitis a, there is no treatment except lots of rest but the disease is known to linger for months.

I have heard twice before that my boss is happy with my work.

My family adds to the fear because they pressure me to go to work and enforcing the thought that I should always go to work to avoid trouble.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 10:55 am

Jerricko wrote:
I've been feeling ill for two weeks, today is the third day that I stayed home on sick leave. I went to the doctor last week, he gave me antibiotics, two days off and told me to come back if I don't feel better after 3 days. While on the antibiotics, I was able to be at work for thursday and friday, but the medicine finished on saturday. Yesterday, I began to feel the illness coming back slight and after some emotional stress from yesterday, I relapsed today. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow and he will do blood tests.

I feel bad for being away from work so much even though I am not working on any urgent projects. My boss is very lenient but I don't want her to feel like I'm taking advantage of her kindness. Note: she does not know that I am an aspie. She has good relationships with all of her employees but I feel that we have one of the worse ones because of my inability to perform socially and not handling the current situation as well as I feel I should.

The reason I fear for being fired is because, like I said, the company is rather lenient and accommodating. I have my details at a human resources company who found me the job after a week of working with them; as well since starting my career 7 months ago, I received 2 job offers from companies who got my details from the HR company and my old college; so finding work won't be hard.

EDIT: From self diagnosis, I think I may have hepatitis a, there is no treatment except lots of rest but the disease is known to linger for months.

I have heard twice before that my boss is happy with my work.

My family adds to the fear because they pressure me to go to work and enforcing the thought that I should always go to work to avoid trouble.

I might be able to help you if you answer two questions: What is your nationality; and how large is the company?

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2013, 12:04 pm

South Africa and about 10 people

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 12:10 pm

Jerricko wrote:
South Africa and about 10 people

The reason I'm asking is that here in the US, we have something called the Family and Medical Leave Act, which mandates that companies of over fifty people by law have to provide time off for family and medical problems. Though it is leave without pay, your job has to be held for you during your absence. While I'm not sure about SA, most European countries have similar laws. You may wish to make some inquiries.

Even with so few people, and even if your company isn't legally obligated to provide such a thing, many companies do. I provide it to my employees when requested though I am not legally obligated to do so.

You do need to let your company know something. If you look at things from your boss's perspective, you were hired because you are needed. So, when you are not there, there, it is bound to cause problems. If you request a leave, your boss can make arrangements whereas right now your boss likely isn't sure what to do.

Good luck.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 4:16 pm

You may want to have your doctor fax a note to your employer explaining what's going on.

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2013, 7:40 am

I have been at work for the rest of the week, even though I felt lousy. I did high priority testing of a colleague's system (I was ask to do it) and my week was pretty much emailing the faults I found to my colleague and ccing my bosses; everyday, one of the directors would say thanks to me and say that my work is thorough and good.