Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 1:26 pm

katiesBoyfriend wrote:
No. It's a way of distancing themselves from you.

Um, that's one way of looking at it.

Or, the fact that, with 15 facilities in the bi-state area and one HR department with about 30 people working on hiring.
650 jobs posted at any one time, thousands of applicants for each one, you've got to narrow it down somehow.

Granted, my perspective is from a massive organization and the speed and scale they had to operate under, I can't speak for smaller companies.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 2:01 pm

People who are 50 or older would benefit more from the ability to present his/her self BEFORE the interview. Employers who rely on online resumes routinely throw out the resumes of the 50 and older applicant.

I type 75 WPM, and was searching for a data entry job. I had 30 years' experience as a data entry operator at the time I started applying for jobs. I was 51 years old. ONE company, out of hundreds, called me in for an interview. I was able to show them my skills. I was hired right away, without the need for a second interview.

I honestly believe, had the "old system" been in place, that I would have been hired by ANY company if I was given the opportunity to walk in, submit my application, take the tests, and complete the interview.

I also believe our unemployment rate would have recovered much quicker had we been under the "old system." As it stands now, it takes at least a couple of weeks for an applicant to obtain employment from the time the applicant is called for the first interview. Up until the 1980s, people used to get jobs RIGHT AWAY--or, perhaps, if there were many applicants, after a week of interviews.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 3:16 pm

It's annoying when it happens. But you if you have a mail address you can contact them on, you can send them a mail and ask if they've made their decision. It's also fully okay to ask why they didn't proceed with you. ( This can help you in the future. )

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 11:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
People who are 50 or older would benefit more from the ability to present his/her self BEFORE the interview. Employers who rely on online resumes routinely throw out the resumes of the 50 and older applicant.
Wow. That's age discrimination, and is supposed to be illegal. As always, there is quite a difference between theory and practice.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm

With me, for the few jobs I have interviewed for over the past few years, I usually get the fsck you letter in email 5 minutes after the interview is over. Nowadays, I'm more than convinced that 25 is the new 55: anyone over that age need not apply.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2014, 9:59 am

MSBKyle wrote:
Why is it that whenever you fill out an application whether online or on paper, you never hear from the business. I have filled out several job applications, and rarely hear from any of them. It is so annoying and rude that they never contact you. If they are not interested in hiring you then why can't they call you back and tell you that? Why do they just ignore you?

I hear you. Out of maybe 30 or so that I submit, I may hear back from 2. I don't know that it is intentional. Hiring managers are just overwhelmed and HR recruiters maybe get 300+ applications for one or two postings. Plus, legal reasons preclude precise feedback. Getting sued is any company's worst fear, even worse than revenue loss.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

27 Aug 2014, 11:04 am

mattschwartz01 wrote:
<snip>

I hear you. Out of maybe 30 or so that I submit, I may hear back from 2. I don't know that it is intentional.

It is intentional. It's the company's way of saying how much it values not just applicants, but its employees as well.

Quote:
Hiring managers are just overwhelmed and HR recruiters maybe get 300+ applications for one or two postings. Plus, legal reasons preclude precise feedback. Getting sued is any company's worst fear, even worse than revenue loss.

Last edited by katiesBoyfriend on 28 Aug 2014, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2014, 3:32 pm

I think it depends on where you live. It took my brother years to find a job in California and it only took me a month to get one in Northern Utah. Sometimes timing may have something to do with it as well. Try putting in lots of applications when kids and college students are getting ready to go back to school. I had the best timing when I applied to Wal-Mart because someone was just leaving due to active duty in the military.

Also, make sure to check back to the places you applied every month to let them know you ARE interested in working for them, not just filling out random applications and hope someone responds.

hzl
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2014, 7:29 pm

Because the economy is s**t, there are more people seeking jobs than jobs available, and people suck. That's basically it.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 10:58 am

Because so many people apply to each position, and companies don't want to 100 + people with a 'you didn't get the job'