What to expect at vocational rehab?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

GamingMaestro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2016, 3:10 am

I have an appointment in a few days...I know this is probably a question that has been answered before, but i think the search function isn't working for me since nothing shows up. I'm hoping I can hear back from people who have gone through it before. Potentially stupid question though, do we need to show up in work type clothes or no? :P

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Aug 2016, 6:01 am

It depends on where you're at and who your counselor is, if you don't like the person or don't think you can work with them then change right away if you can since that is the most important thing. All I can say about Voc Rehab is that it's a direction and a lifeboat even tho I would not expect them to just hand you a job right away, you have to jump thru their hopes but fwiw they sometimes also pay for people to go to school! I have met some very caring people who go way above and beyond what their job entails to help me personally, I can't say that is typical but I am as cynical as it gets towards the "system" and they've treated me pretty well over the last few years.

GamingMaestro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2016, 3:20 am

Jacoby wrote:
It depends on where you're at and who your counselor is, if you don't like the person or don't think you can work with them then change right away if you can since that is the most important thing. All I can say about Voc Rehab is that it's a direction and a lifeboat even tho I would not expect them to just hand you a job right away, you have to jump thru their hopes but fwiw they sometimes also pay for people to go to school! I have met some very caring people who go way above and beyond what their job entails to help me personally, I can't say that is typical but I am as cynical as it gets towards the "system" and they've treated me pretty well over the last few years.

I'm thinking they probably wouldn't pay for me to get more school since I have a degree already though. My appointment is more of an orientation type thing, so maybe I don't even need to worry about that part yet. Do they help you find a job in an industry you think you would be good in/like to be in, or do they just throw you in minimum wage anything?

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2016, 8:47 am

Jacoby wrote:

First let me just say I have gone through vocational rehabilitation and got a good job from it and no you don't have to show up in work clothes.

Jacoby wrote:

Couple things here to point out most counselor are government workers who really do not care about you. Thing is since our invisible disorder takes awhile for many to see most counselor who be less likely to help you. The biggest thing to note is you CANNOT expect them to help you. What you need to know is going in what they can do to help you and letting them know how you want to go otherwise they don't care if you get a minimum wage gig.

GamingMaestro wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I'm thinking they probably wouldn't pay for me to get more school since I have a degree already though. My appointment is more of an orientation type thing, so maybe I don't even need to worry about that part yet. Do they help you find a job in an industry you think you would be good in/like to be in, or do they just throw you in minimum wage anything?

They don't job search for you and you don't want more education cause its just a moneypit anyways. Like I said earlier in this post you have to know what they can do for you. My biggest recommend would be State jobs since you can make entry level 3k monthly coming in the door. You want to find out how that works applying for state jobs and ask if you get preferance (You should).

Also note it takes months to get a government job i got a letter in the mail thinking it was a ticket but no it was an interview with my salary posted on it. I now have my own office, fridge its nice.

GamingMaestro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2016, 6:53 pm

Ok, so I thought I would reply back w/ my experience so future forum searchers would know. :P This orientation was literally showing us a 15 minute video about VR and a couple real life examples of how they assisted people, followed by handing everyone packets that had to be filled out before scheduling a meeting with a counselor. (mainly contact info, career/job aspirations and info about your disability) The cherry on top was that it started half an hour late, but I guess that's the government for ya...lol!

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2016, 9:16 pm

GamingMaestro wrote:
Ok, so I thought I would reply back w/ my experience so future forum searchers would know. :P This orientation was literally showing us a 15 minute video about VR and a couple real life examples of how they assisted people, followed by handing everyone packets that had to be filled out before scheduling a meeting with a counselor. (mainly contact info, career/job aspirations and info about your disability) The cherry on top was that it started half an hour late, but I guess that's the government for ya...lol!

Well its not over yet you still need to meet with your counselor let us know how it goes. If they want to deny you let us know cause I was denied because of my looks and I got a state provided att who got me in afterwards