Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

OU812
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2018, 7:15 pm

Hello all,
New here and glad to have found this place. Seems about 20 years ago they put a name to this thoght proscess (AS) I’ve been dealing with for 50 years. Thanks for letting me vent and reading I’m not alone.

Anyway, seems everytime I step into the working world the same old pattern repeats. Land the new job, all is good for 6-12mos while I learn the system. All the reviews are great, “smart, hard working, creative, driven, passionate”
But things start turning sour and the you’re weird, creepy, unsociable stuff starts. Instead of trying to adapt and fit in, because we all know how well that works out! I end up saying screw it, I can start over.
Honestly, the only time I’ve been happy was when I was self employed.

Is anyone else tired of fighting? How do you cope and live, gotta have money.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 7:38 pm

Tired of fighting? Certainly!

How do I cope at work? By earning an MSEE. The resultant skills that are in great demand.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 8:13 pm

Since you are new here, welcome to Wrong Planet.

How do I cope at work? By developing the skills to perform the job and by being one of the best producers. Generally if you are good at your job, management will cut you some slack. I do not stress the social aspects of the job and learn only the social skills necessary to perform. I am an out-of-box thinker and find that skill rather useful. I am also a non-conformist. That means that I do not conform to society but rather expect society to conform to me.

Don't underrate your skills “smart, hard working, creative, driven, passionate”.

If you are happy being self employed, then aim for that as a goal.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 2:13 am

I haven't even begun to fight and I'm already tired.

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2018, 10:24 am

I wish employers would stop the chit-chat interviews. They'd be better off doing interviews that are basically job tests. The most social pepole are the ones who'd usually spend most of the time chit-chatting around the water cooler. And some pepole can sweet talk there way into anything.

At least this way, they'd have an easier time finding out if the person's suited to the job. I probably would have never gotten my Culvers job had they done this. Wouldn't have wasted my whole summer in a job I hated. And it fixes nearly everything. Except in a job that social skills are required.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 10:33 am

Adventure4U1 wrote:
I wish employers would stop the chit-chat interviews. They'd be better off doing interviews that are basically job tests. The most social pepole are the ones who'd usually spend most of the time chit-chatting around the water cooler. And some pepole can sweet talk there way into anything...
I think both are important, because: (1) If an employee can't get along with co-workers, then he or she is going to drive down morale and maybe inspire others to seek employment elsewhere; and (2) If an employee can't do the job that he or she was hired to do, then he or she will be dismissed and the whole hiring process must be started over from scratch (thus wasting weeks or months of time and possibly tens of thousands of dollars).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:41 am

jimmy m wrote:
I am also a non-conformist. That means that I do not conform to society but rather expect society to conform to me.

Do you not hear how wrong, that is? You're expecting people to do something that you won't do yourself! How is that fair?

JDBPhotos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2018, 12:01 pm

I completely understand. I agree with a lot of what some other have said. I try to be the best that I can at my job. I am usually the go-to person and central hub of information. That's because I am constantly learning and more importantly sharing the information I obtain. Granted, I don't often get asked out to the social outings that people have, but that doesn't bother me, because I am there to do a job. I know I am the "weird one" and am ok with that. But I also get asked by the owner of a multi-billion dollar company to step in to talk about one subject or another (difficult task, sometimes, due to the overwhelming audience and over-inputs). I may get promoted slower than others as well.

At the end of the day, be useful, be kind, be confident but not cocky. I learned that hard way that even though I process things much faster than most and I am often seen as the "smart one" that I don't let it go to my head and have to treat others with great respect (and honestly, tolerance). Also, be vulnerable and talk to your boss, I found often times they will be understanding and help put things in place to make things easier. It is working so far, 17 years at the same company do something that excites me is worth all of the frustrating uphill battles.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 12:12 pm

Today i feel like i've been played the fool, the past few weeks have had their ups and downs but today it just seemed so clear that I was not fully accepted into the job even though i had signed all necessary paperwork. I always thought of myself as an asset, [some] people like that I do/did a good job and now that I left abruptly because I was so frustrated and angry at my manager for reasons i won't explain, i face disciplinary action for having an unauthorised absence possibly even the sack, despite my hard-working the past few weeks.

I would put it down to sensory overload or meltdown but i did not disclose anything on my forms, so anything I could pin my meltdown on is non-existent. I feel like i have been bottling it up ever since i started, so the wave of depression would just hit me at the worst possible time.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 2:17 pm

Scorpius14 wrote:
Today i feel like i've been played the fool, the past few weeks have had their ups and downs but today it just seemed so clear that I was not fully accepted into the job even though i had signed all necessary paperwork. I always thought of myself as an asset, [some] people like that I do/did a good job and now that I left abruptly because I was so frustrated and angry at my manager for reasons i won't explain, i face disciplinary action for having an unauthorised absence possibly even the sack, despite my hard-working the past few weeks.

I would put it down to sensory overload or meltdown but i did not disclose anything on my forms, so anything I could pin my meltdown on is non-existent. I feel like i have been bottling it up ever since i started, so the wave of depression would just hit me at the worst possible time.

Apologize to your boss and tell him your behavior was wrong and it won't happen again.