Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Saul3903
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2014, 6:32 pm

Does anyone else always get super nervous when they have to make a job or business related phone call?

I occasionally work for a concert production company, just as labor. It's not steady work, but it brings in a little extra cash on some weekends and allows me to work with some really talented sound engineers. Today I called to see what kind of gigs were available in the next couple weeks, and I had to prep myself for an hour before I could dial. I had to give myself a quick pep talk, remind myself that the managers like me and don't mind that I'm calling, and do a couple slow breathing exercises.

I've started jotting down a basic script/outline for myself anytime I make on of these calls. I'll write down how I'll introduce myself (Remember to quickly mention my title/connection to the company), my purpose for calling, and any dates or numbers I know that I'll need to remember. I've occasionally tried making calls without my script, and it's usually a disaster. I get so nervous I can hardly speak, and more than once I've had to just hang up the phone, take a few deep breaths, then call again and pretend that I didn't mean to hang up.

If anyone else has had experience with this, it would be nice to hear someone empathize with me.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 7:01 pm

Issues with telephones is a pretty common ASD symptom, yes.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 7:09 pm

I go through the same thing when I make phone calls, regardless of whether I'm calling to schedule an appointment or calling my boss about work. It's scary, it's stressful, and I learned a long time ago that I have to have a script.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 7:54 pm

I'm not a lover of phone calls myself; I get anxious before them. I even try to defer them until the very last moment.

Around 1988-1990, I once had an 11-hour conversation with a woman. Oddly, we've never consummated anything; we just remained friends.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 8:35 pm

I hate it when the phone rings, as the sound drives me absolutely insane, and it usually interrupts me whenever I'm in the middle of something. The worst is when I'm sleeping in or just waking up in the morning.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2014, 9:05 pm

Wow. I've been exactly the same way with phone calls for as long as I can remember. Unless it is someone I know really well and am very comfortable with, which is not many people, it is anxiety provoking. I also make a script of what I am going to say and go over it many times and that does help. There are times however I think I should start writing it down because I'm struck with panic when someone answers and forget everything I was going to say. After that I stumble everything out in the wrong order and it's just bad. How do you feel about answering machines? If I get one of those when I was not expecting it I usually hang up, make a script and call back again to leave the message although I will avoid leaving messages at all costs. I hate leaving messages even for family.

desertnomad
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2014, 10:08 pm

Yeah I hate calling/receiving calls too. I always get paranoid the cops are calling me or something lol

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 10:42 pm

I have unpublished, and I let the answering machine do all the talking.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 10:53 pm

I absolutely hate making phone calls to anyone but my mother. I sweat gallons and stumble through it, often speaking too quickly, messing it up... And that's despite having scripted it out first and tried to go through it in my mind. I always try to have someone else make the call.

If I have to make a call and get told to leave a message, I'll just hang up.

I'm okay with receiving phone calls though, then I'll just leave the talking to whoever calls and respond to what they say. That's much easier for me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 11:28 pm

Wow...

See, conversations like this are why I come here. Something I experience so strongly and other people just CANNOT conceive of.

Like the others, I have a 'script' set out.
I'd rather receive calls than make them, I don't want to bother anyone.

I make calls at work, but, luckily, my new company is much younger and more scattered and we tend to use Instant messengers and emails much more than telephone calls.

I'm also fortunate that my husband is willing to make most of the calls for us. (Though he does occasionally rib me about it... He certainly had no idea about my 'oddities' until after we were married. [we dated long-distance])

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 11:41 pm

I'm had some success writing down my first introductory sentence. And maybe the second sentence.

And then I might use short phrases for the goals I'm trying to achieve, starting with the major one.

And I keep a writing utensil and paper, so I can write down short phrases of what the other person says. This seems to help center and focus me.

Now, none of this is a hundred percent deal. But I do feel it helps put the odds more in my favor.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 1:32 am

I hate making calls
and most of the people avoid answering my calls
once they meet me after that they definitely avoid my calls

I visited a NGO for mentally challenged recently
and filled a form for volunteering
Now when i am calling the lady to pay a visit to volunteer

She isnt answering the call.

Can u imagine no one wants me as a volunteer also.
Not even for free I am wanted
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 2:02 am

^ Sorry, I know it isn't funny, but your comments reminded me of a sketch from the series Mr Bean. He volunteers to help on a suicide prevention hot line. After only a few hours he receives three calls and all three of the callers immediately commit suicide... one of his callers was just wanting to know the cricket score but had dialled the wrong number.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 2:04 am

:lmao:

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 2:58 am

TallyMan wrote:
^ Sorry, I know it isn't funny, but your comments reminded me of a sketch from the series Mr Bean. He volunteers to help on a suicide prevention hot line. After only a few hours he receives three calls and all three of the callers immediately commit suicide... one of his callers was just wanting to know the cricket score but had dialled the wrong number.

the lady got a hint that if i am allowed this would be case
the mentally challenged would get more mentally challenged
by having me around

Saul3903
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2014, 9:12 am

Wow. Thanks, guys. I didn't expect this many responses so fast.

I forgot to mention this before, but yeah, answering machines completely ruin my flow. I'm really glad that most people use cell phones now that keep a record the calls you missed, so I don't have to leave messages as often.