Should I check "disabled" on my application form?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm

Yes, again that's wrong. If he had said something about your hair before giving you the job then fine. If not, that's pushing it over the line.

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2011, 6:39 pm

I did not mark it on my recent application. Despite being diagnosed with it, this aspie can play with the big boys.

nonentity
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

I'm having the same dilemma, especially because I know some workplaces don't need to know for me to do well in, but others seem to. I did perfectly fine in my last job, but I've realized lately that my other jobs in the past probably could have been improved with a mention. Unfortunately, it didn't work worth a damn in my current job (although it wasn't about mentioning it at first, since I wasn't sure then and didn't have anything to prove my diagnosis; it wasn't even my choice to bring it up in this case).

I guess I'd say my approach is more to not say it right away, and only bring it up if needed. I don't even intend to mention it directly in the future; I'm only going to say things like I may need to take notes during training, or, you know, if something comes up as an interpersonal conflict. One of my past jobs had a relaxed atmosphere, but I got flustered from time to time because the tasks weren't generally the same every time I came in, and the joking sometimes felt really hurtful more than fun — and I think some of my coworkers/supervisors just thought I was a spoilsport. Or boring. Or something, I'm not sure.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

Tequila wrote:
Yes, again that's wrong. If he had said something about your hair before giving you the job then fine. If not, that's pushing it over the line.

That and there was other guys with hair almost as long as mine. :roll: