Should you disclose if asked point-blank??

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 4:29 pm

Jayo wrote:
if someone (like a boss or manager) asks you point-blank - not necessarily "do you have Asperger Syndrome" but more queries like "how is it that you are very good at detailed tasks, but you somehow miss the big picture and don't always do what's expected of you?" OR "how is that you're very good at analyzing things on your own, but you need to ask people questions about more obvious things??" :(

"how is it that you are very good at detailed tasks, but" is not a "point blank" question about AS at all! The boss never mentions AS here. Sure, you can use it as an opportunity to bring up AS if you want to, but that seems unwise to me. I wouldn't say anything about it without a very good reason. Now, if they ask "do you have AS" - that is a point blank question and unless you have a very good relationship with your boss it deserves a point blank answer like "that's my business".

retrogurl88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2013, 10:57 am

If a boss point blank asks you to disclose you don't have to answer, they are in direct violation of your health privacy under HIPPA. That being said, while I am not officially diagnosed as being on the spectrum (though I suspect I am), I do have many anxiety disorders and suffer from bouts of depression. On top it all with taking medication for my asthma, I am prone to sickness often. Recently, I decided to half disclose because I was being judged for being absent, unfortunately this all backfired on me. I have not been treated the same since on the job. So I would only recommend minimal disclosure related to a specific task, only if needed. Stigma still runs wild in our society. Disclosing is like gambling with your future, yet I once had a boss who was quite kind about it. It depends on the person.