Extremely anxious at the prospect of working 40 hours a week

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:25 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Over the last few days, I haven't been enjoying my job as much as I did the first few days, mostly because the awe of being paid to push buttons and talk to random people is starting to wear off. I'm already starting to think of other places where I could work and make more money and have a bit more freedom. To show future employers that I have a serious interest though, that means that I'm going to have to stick with my current job for at least another while.

At some point, if the problem my workplace has been having with being understaffed improves, and if I can afford it, I may ask my boss to cut back my hours somewhat, or at least get him to put my days off together. I've been doing the whole "eat, sleep, work" thing for about a week now, and I'm not sure if I can continue with this lifestyle for a prolonged period of time. I want to have more flexibility so I can start pursuing more hobbies, and have a bit more time to relax.

If you can do that, you should grab the opportunity if it presents itself. As long as you're in a position where paying your basic monthly costs doesn't necessarily require you to work fulltime, there's some leeway. BUT I also think that this may just be you coming off from the initial cloud of the novelty of the job. Now, the gravity of working a 40-hour workweek is starting to sink in. This too, shall pass, if you give it time.

The complicated part is that, once you spread your wings and eventually find yourself wanting to settle down in a place of your own, there aren't all that many alternatives to working a fulltime grind-job that may be very repetitive, if you lack the diplomas that give you access to different kinds of jobs. Like you, I discontinued my education after secondary school, and finding a job that has sufficient hours to pay my food and rent for which I have the qualifications is very tricky. Even job vacancies as a factory worker or cleaner often require 6 months up to 2 years of experience, so no matter how well I present myself in my application letter, I often don't get an invitation to an interview.

In short, it's going to sound harsh, but scratching a living for yourself requires a lot of resilience regardless of whether or not you have an education; but without one, some of the game rules are going to be different. You're still young, but don't neglect to seize certain opportunities that might make life a little easier in the future.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 10:00 am

A new job usually has a honeymoon period where you love it, then that usually transitions to a "god I hate this job" and then to "Ok, it's a job."

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 2:32 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Over the last few days, I haven't been enjoying my job as much as I did the first few days, mostly because the awe of being paid to push buttons and talk to random people is starting to wear off. I'm already starting to think of other places where I could work and make more money and have a bit more freedom. To show future employers that I have a serious interest though, that means that I'm going to have to stick with my current job for at least another while.

At some point, if the problem my workplace has been having with being understaffed improves, and if I can afford it, I may ask my boss to cut back my hours somewhat, or at least get him to put my days off together. I've been doing the whole "eat, sleep, work" thing for about a week now, and I'm not sure if I can continue with this lifestyle for a prolonged period of time. I want to have more flexibility so I can start pursuing more hobbies, and have a bit more time to relax.

If you can do that, you should grab the opportunity if it presents itself. As long as you're in a position where paying your basic monthly costs doesn't necessarily require you to work fulltime, there's some leeway. BUT I also think that this may just be you coming off from the initial cloud of the novelty of the job. Now, the gravity of working a 40-hour workweek is starting to sink in. This too, shall pass, if you give it time.

The complicated part is that, once you spread your wings and eventually find yourself wanting to settle down in a place of your own, there aren't all that many alternatives to working a fulltime grind-job that may be very repetitive, if you lack the diplomas that give you access to different kinds of jobs. Like you, I discontinued my education after secondary school, and finding a job that has sufficient hours to pay my food and rent for which I have the qualifications is very tricky. Even job vacancies as a factory worker or cleaner often require 6 months up to 2 years of experience, so no matter how well I present myself in my application letter, I often don't get an invitation to an interview.

In short, it's going to sound harsh, but scratching a living for yourself requires a lot of resilience regardless of whether or not you have an education; but without one, some of the game rules are going to be different. You're still young, but don't neglect to seize certain opportunities that might make life a little easier in the future.

At the moment, I'm not really sure if I want to "spread my wings" anytime soon. Part of the reason I chose the living situation I'm currently in (residing with a friend's family in their basement), is because I don't want to be concerned with things like paying bills, cooking all my own meals, maintaining my own house/property, or being alone all the time. Renting a room informally from people I already know and am friends with is a much different story; I can do it without any problems. If I am allowed to, I plan to stay for at least a year.

Also, I might go from one low-end job to another in the future, but I don't plan on making it a career. My ideal career would involve working in IT, thus that means that I'll have to get my high school diploma and get my different certifications (like Microsoft, A+, Cisco, etc.) I'm not sure exactly where it'll take me, if it'll involve being a sysadmin at a big corporation or a technician at a mom and pop repair shop, though I will admit that it would be pretty neat to be able to run a repair business out of my own home.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 6:37 am

^That is a good prospect on securing an enjoyable job in the future; it's all not set in stone, so it's cool that you appear to be a bit flexible in what you desire from your ideal occupation. I must re-iterate whitrbbit's comment that what you're feeling about your work right now is probably just the 'post-honeymoon' feeling, and you may grow a bit more comfortable with the work routines as weeks go by. Otherwise, if it's available, a part-time shift is nothing to be ashamed of. Cheers.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 4:21 am

I had another rough day at work, and I'm having a hard time relaxing as one of my friends convinced me to stay the night at his place and threw me out of my routine. I don't know why I keep putting up with this f*****g job. I haven't even been paid in ages, and my first goddamn paycheck only covered two days work, which was barely even enough to buy my lunches at work. I know that I'm supposed to be semi-independent and s**t, and that I'm going to have to chip in something in my current living situation, but at this point I just want to quit and do something waaaaay more casual. The problem is that I have no experience other than this, and I can't think of any other places that would hire me.

Bear with me, I'm in a bad mood. I just wish someone would knock me the f**k out so that I could lie here, quit caring, and get some sleep.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 8:35 am

Try applying to other places. Drop off your resume at stores where you enjoy the atmosphere. I worked in bookstores for years and it wasn't too bad. Or better yet, apply to the local library to be a shelver - way less interaction with the public.
Just keep in mind that it's not forever.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 4:20 am

Ann2011 wrote:
Try applying to other places. Drop off your resume at stores where you enjoy the atmosphere. I worked in bookstores for years and it wasn't too bad. Or better yet, apply to the local library to be a shelver - way less interaction with the public.
Just keep in mind that it's not forever.

I live in a small town and I've already applied at a bunch of other places in the past. The grocery store I'm currently working at just happens to be the only place that's offered to hire me. I don't really have anything else to put on a resume, and saying that you've worked two weeks at a grocery store would seem pretty lousy to most employers. I'm just hoping at this point that I get fired or laid off, or at least that my hours get cut back.

I find that the part of cashiering that I'm good at, and the part which I enjoy doing is the whole data entry aspect. Dealing with customers can be hit or miss, as sometimes I come across old friends and such, but other times I get people who start arguing with me about prices and asking dumb questions and such.

Just thinking about it now, I think I wouldn't mind working at a gas station or something like that. It would definitely be somewhat simpler, as I wouldn't have to memorize a bunch of produce codes or work with a weight scale. I also wouldn't have to worry so much about looking formal.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 10:59 am

Starting a new job, depending when you start, your first couple pay checks may be a little off. One of my co-workers went to a new job and didn't get a check for 3 1/2 weeks because of when she started. By the 2nd check though you should be into a routine of getting paid every 2 weeks.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:29 am

After an incident this morning where I was feeling like s**t and attempted to call in sick, where my boss gave me crap due to my lame excuses, I decided to tackle the underlying issue I've been having with being burnt-out by my job by cutting back my hours somewhat. Originally I was going to go for a deal where I would work three 8 hour shifts a week, but eventually I settled on one where I work four 8 hour shifts a week, with days off on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Even though it means that I won't be paid as much as I used to, at least I will have a more consistent schedule now, and I'll have more time to relax. Not to mention, on most working days I'll have a day off right afterwards.

The thing is though, I've tried explaining this to a bunch of people, mostly working NTs, and they don't seem to "get" why I would need or want extra time off. Of course, where I live, people obsess over their jobs and how many hours they work, and how they spend their obscenely huge incomes on trucks and houses and other crap like that, and I seem to be an outlier in that I would be perfectly happy with being homeless, provided the climate were warm enough to accommodate, and I had some sort of advice to browse the internet, listen to music and play games on.

I'm just glad I'm living in a situation where my "rent" (if you can even call it that) is low enough that I can still easily afford it with my shortened hours, and that I don't actually have to worry about things like bills or whatever.

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2014, 8:31 am

Not enough time to spend on leisure and enjoy life. You need to make the job more flexible to suit what you want. Being young you have more chance to pick and choose the jobs that suit you.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 2:52 pm

^^Don't let them get to you. I've also had comments in the past from certain people who had a hard time believing that I only worked mornings (when this was no problem for me financially), or that I worked two half days and one whole day at one point and was content with it.