Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chriscross1966
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2007, 10:15 pm

I told my boss as soon as I was diagnosed, thou that was in my late thirties when I'd been with the company for about 7 years, he's been great, though finding Aspies in IT isn't hard.... he actually got me a couple of promotions into areas I've been good at (testing camera sensor performance and then testing software prior to release), I guess he's willing to put up with the quirks in exchange for the pattern recognition, obsessive chasing of anomalies etc... they even let me in the same room as potential customers now :D

chrisc

sassyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2007, 10:02 am

think it over. in my case, i was reluctant to reveal as i'm afraid the boss may think i'm making an excuse or something...

Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2007, 2:37 am

What if you don't tell them you have AS but just tell them that you have certain social quirks? I don't know how to phrase it. That is what I am going to try to do with my bosses tomorrow since I think they don't think I am trying to be better. I think if they know that I acknowlege my problem areas they might actually give me more than 16 hours a week! I my case I think not telling them I had some social rough spots was a draw back for me at times since a few people comment about it to me as if it will make me act "normal". Like joking about it will lossen me up or something, yeah it actually does the opposite. Its like you have even more pressure to suddenly act normal and like everyone else and I just shut down. Bleh I can't wait to get a career so I don't have to rely on social jobs which is the only thing someone with limited work skills and education can do.

WhiskeryBeast
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2007, 11:47 am

BubbaHoTep wrote:
Redback wrote:
Shortly afterwards I was fired, basically for problems with customers caused by AS.

Maybe I overgeneralized a bit. But in every employment situation I have ever personally been in, I stand by my statement that telling your employer about AS is a bad idea. The above is one of the reasons why. I have also seen from personal experience that employees perceived as having 'mental issues' are some of the first to go when there are layoffs. Also, they can pretty much forget about getting any sort of promotion or merit bonus.

Getting and keeping a job is hard enough. Why make it worse by letting on you have 'mental issues'?

I have had the same thing happen with me. As soon as they find out, they seem to come to a conclusion that I am not a good fit with the company or that I shouldn't be in a position where I have to interact with anyone. Having AS is your own business. I wouldn't tell as long as it doesn't interfer with your capability to do your job well. It's almost like having depression, that's your own private struggle and it's no body else's business.