best jobs for people with aspergers

Page 11 of 16 [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

jonnyeol
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2009, 5:07 pm

I've just become an Information Architect. Handling such topics as data modelling, implementing metadata rules and file plans, ensuring new applications and sites meet business information needs rather than the whims of the developer and other such activities. As an Aspi who doesn't fear interaction with other providing the topic of discussion is clear, it's the best job I could have hoped for.

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2009, 9:07 am

[quote="CageAquarium"]If you happen to be an Aspie and did not come equipped with the standard aspie genius module such as me I have found you can't beat security work.

All night I sit at a gate talking to maybe 3 people a night in short one word sentences with zero eye contact because I was taught to watch peoples hands when I talk to them on duty. Otherwise my job requires me to sit alone and stay awake occupying my time with whatever I please so long as I keep my eyes on the gate sensors and do a foot patrol every once in awhile. Gives me all kinds of time to write and draw so that is one I'd suggest.

That would suit me.
I am an online counsellor. While studying I realised how am I going to last when all those clients want to talk to me. I am going to be exchausted after the first one and then are still 3 or more to come for the day? Why am I making it myself so difficult? Then I came up with the result; go online, they can email/chat. My free service is here.;cummuluscounselling.blogspot

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2009, 6:30 pm

Of all the jobs i've had I liked being a janitor the most. I've worked in the food/service industry, the military (which had it's ups and downs), retail, admin/secretarial work (least fav), telemarketing (gag me with a spoon), tele-research (not bad, but people genrally don't like people calling them at dinner time asking them if they'd like to take a survey, and the pay sucked), and janitorial work.

As the cliche says "it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it!" I liked being a janitor, especially night shift- had the whole place to myself. The upside is that it's usually self directed, unsupervised work durring off or non-bussiness hours. You just clean everything that needs to be cleaned and then sit around until your shift is over. Seriously, one job I had I cleaned for maybe a total of 2 hours a night and then spent 6 hours playing solitare or reading. And i've never had a janitorial job that paid less than $10 per hour.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2009, 1:00 am

TheMinnesotaIceman wrote:
passionatebach wrote:
I would recommend the job of security guard for a person with Asperger's. I worked in this field for many years and found a lot of the jobs to be satisfying. I would recommend industrial security/night watchman type work. You often have the building to yourself, and you can partake in your special interest at times when not on rounds.

What are the requirements? I have no degree of any kind, extremely limited work experience, and no skills to speak of.

In order to enter security work, you do need a high school dipoma and most states do a background check in order to license you. Most jobs do not require any college education or work experiences, other than maybe working for the military or government. Most companies will provide on-site training.

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2009, 3:17 pm

Here's a few of my ideas (some have already been said, but if I like the job I'll say it again :) )

Film developer- not sure if there's a mainstream job for it but I used to love love LOVE working in the darkroom.
Late night/ overnight work.Usually has a bit better pay since it's the night shift. Not many people.
Anything that involves organization.
Event coordinator . You just need to get the specs and then get to organizing.
Database entry
Business plan developer/consultant (a client says "I want to open a pizza store" and you write up his plan and charge a mint for it.)
Author
Digital Video Editor for film or television
Mechanic, especially for large 'fleet' vehicles like buses
Public Transportation Subway Conductor
Medical researcher
Maid in a hotel or motel, or temp 'maid for hire'.
Newspaper/Web content/ Book editor
Donations organizer
Ticket taker
Shipping and receiving officer
Line worker in a factory (noise might be an issue but most get to wear ear plugs)

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift;
Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift"
~Shakespeare

alana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 5:19 pm

I really like this thread. I am thinking about going to school for computers, I wonder if it is still worth it...like getting an associate degree. I know alot of people have lost IT jobs lately...I have done alot of the jobs mentioned. My family think I am a total loser because of the employment thing, they definitely don't 'hear' what I feel about jobs and working with people. I get no quarter from them, since they are all NT and most are on the border of PD in some way or another (3 NPD in one family, lol). I am sooooooooooo tired of struggling with employment. It is the worst part of being AS for me.

Robin_Hood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2010, 10:01 am

Graphic Design is probably a good occupation for creative/artistic AS but it does have it's problems..

1. Having to go to client meetings (can be very difficult)
2. Having to take client briefs (also hard trying to get all the correct details)
3. Having to deal with some annoying colleagues and sales & marketing types
4. Having to be a "Team" player in all the job ads for it
5. Deadlines can be stressful sometimes due to clients and or printers schedules

Good points for AS...

1. Sit at a computer all day
2. Sometimes get to do some great work (depending where you work and how good you are)
3. Most of client communication is done via email which is awesome for me
4. You can work from home and be freelance
5. It can be great fun
6. You can listen to music whilst you work
7. People leave you alone most of the time
8. You get respected for being good at the job rather than having to be a social butterfly to get anywhere
9. Clients sometimes buy you gifts which is really cool :)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 8:31 pm

Librarian
Veternarian
museum curator
special education teacher
palentologist

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 3:56 pm

Anything to do with maths or physics,

A library for books and catalogues

Data entry

ANYTHING you can do from home....... :P

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 5:10 pm

Journalism

Language translating/interpreting

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2010, 4:24 pm

i like that list, @girl7000. i completely agree on every item. i look for the same things.

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2010, 10:13 pm

flash developer, animator

website designer/implementation developer

3D (Maya, 3DMAX) animator

I was happiest working at Barnes & Noble, but it just doesn't pay enough.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 1:48 pm

Hmmm can there be such a job that someone with Asperger's can actually work in? Well for me ot would be a place where I have plenty of personal space and don't have to interact with other people a lot unless I wanted too. I could not cope being in a place where thats noisy with too many people close by. I wouldn't want to be utterly bored but I wouldn't want to have all kinds of pressures hanging over my head. I hate the flourescent lights most workplaces have. Sometimes they flicker and that really annoys me. I'd need to be in a place that has soft, pleasant lights, not a lot of noise or intrusive music, and not have people breathing down my neck. Of course about the only workplace I can think of that's like that is home! :wink:

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2010, 6:10 am

Why do so many people here think that the best job for an aspie is one where they are locked away in a room somewhere and don't have to deal with people?

Such jobs can make you very lonely and I find that if I'm on such a job I end up browsing the web and going onto sites just to have some personal contact. I also have little job satisfaction.

What I do want from the workplace is to be given responsibility and not be overly supervised, so I can deliver the way I see fit, and am judged simply by what I deliver. I also want clear communication between myself and the recipient as to what is required, and for them to quickly answer any questions I may have because I often find e-mails are not getting answered or there are assumptions about what I am expected to know but don't.

For pure technical help I can go online to find answers to these things. Such use of the internet is definitely approved as it is for business benefit.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2010, 6:34 pm

The best jobs for me are those that are not too abrupt or have many interuptions. Also I like jobs which let you do your work, don't keep stats on your performance and give you lots of autonomy to get things done.

Basically I like jobs that you know what you are doing when you walk in the door (these are your duties for the day).

Interaction with people does not bother me too much.

My favorite jobs were a night watchman at a food packaging factory. The job involved making 4 rounds a night around the factory and other duties that you did on a daily basis. You did deal with people, but it was factory employees and contractors that came in on a regular basis. The employees were pretty understanding of my disability and included me in company related functions. I was also given a lot of autonomy to make decisions by the Facilities manager.

The worst job I have ever held was working in a call center. I hate being tied to a telephone for eight hours a day, and the nature of the job makes it abrupt (you are always at the whim of when your customers want to call in). They closely monitor your work, and keep detailed performance statistics of your work. Lastly, there isn't as much autonomy as I would like, the company does give you some leeway to make decisions, but also lets you know that many of the decisions are to be made higher up the food chain.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2010, 4:57 am

vulcan80 wrote:
A lot of people answer computer programmer and that's what I am, but I'm facing a problem right now with the job. I've been working this for a few years and most progress to become team leads and project managers. Both jobs require a lot of social skills and communicating with other people.

I feel a bit depressed that I can't advance further. I notice that it's already becoming more necessary for me to communicate with other teams. It's taxing for me as it is, becoming a manager is out of the question.

Any suggestions?

All you have to do is be good at what you do, become a whiz at what you do and give the right advice to people and be open to questions.