Finding and Keeping jobs - Tips and Advice

Page 16 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 8:39 am

The biggest mistake I see is people here doing too much to make up for some perceived shortcoming.
You want to do the same amount of work as everyone else. No more, no less.

Unless you are making $$$

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 11:59 am

ColdFeetareCold wrote:
How are any of you able to keep jobs? I can't hold one for longer than six months without losing my mind. Are there jobs for people who can't handle stress, horrible people, where they can sit in a chair and have a one hour lunch break, that pays enough to meet the cost of living?

I'm not sure about that one...
I held a job doing food production for almost 8 years...but it was stress to the max, 30 minute lunch break (which dropped down to 0 minutes shortly before I quit), 50-60 hours a week of heavy manual labor that left my body broken and useless, and probably not a living wage (pretty soon what I was paid will be below MI minimum wage).

Did have a chair, though!

"Horrible people" is rather unavoidable, people just suck. I was lucky enough to be in a position where I didn't have to interact with horrible people too often, but when I did, I just try to keep a mindset of "just smile and nod, try not to make enemies". Things go so much smoother that way. Some people are just looking for a fight, and it's best not to encourage them.

So I kind of got the reputation of "he's real quiet and weird, but he does a good job".

Probably more difficult if you're a cashier or in customer service where you HAVE to interact with people you don't work with (who are often irate) on a constant basis.

Brian0787 wrote:
"Be open and willing to learn new things". I know that's not easy and can be scary but I promise if you do you will add value to whoever you work for.

This is absolutely true, but I learned the hard way that "adding value to your employer" does not also mean "increasing your pay wage".
One time I was running two machines at the same time, and a co-worker asked if they were paying me double for it, and I said "no".
Wisdom.
They'll want to shift you over to a higher paying position, but keep you at your previous pay. Cheap labor makes them very happy.

Brian0787 wrote:
"Don't be scared of asking questions or asking for help". I know that you've probably heard that phrase many times and with having autism this can be very, very difficult but it's necessary. You don't know if you're doing something right or have feedback unless you ask.

Definitely. Employers and co-workers would rather have you ask a stupid question than have you make a stupid mistake.
Some of those mistakes can be VERY expensive, and/or can cost the company customers.
You might even catch a mistake that someone else made.

ColdFeetareCold
Raven
Raven

10 Sep 2024, 5:42 pm

I can't find any jobs. Not that I'd want to work one even if someone offered a position, but I'd begrudgingly do the work of course, and I'm very good at pretending to enjoy it. If you smile big enough, nobody bothers you. It's an uncomfortable limbo to be in because one needs money to survive. I am thinking of just giving up. Lately I've been thinking that I should take all of my savings and fly somewhere I've always wanted to go, and just see how that pans out 'til the money runs dry. But this isn't the 50s so nobody's hiring people to pick peaches for the day, so hitchhiking in current year just seems silly.

Is anyone else having trouble finding work? I must've applied to literally everything that I'm qualified and overqualified to do.

barbaroja
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2024, 4:13 pm

Are there any specific platforms hiring autistic level 1 individuals to work remotely?