Useless Courses , Majors and Degrees?

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:59 am

DuneyBlues wrote:
Do you think a degree in pure mathematics is useful or not?

There is a demand for college math instructors, at least where I live. That's what my husband does.

My degree is in literature: totally useless. There aren't many teaching openings and there really is nothing else you can do with it.

misterwizard
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2012, 8:19 pm

ooo wrote:
misterwizard wrote:
Quite honestly I have about 90k in student loans having just finished. The thing with me though is that any job I get in my field will either be a government or non-profit job so after I make 10 years of payments on IBR they will wipe out my remaining debt since I want to do public service. (Google: 2007 college cost reduction act). For those wanting to work in a private business education is less relevant anyway but for government jobs at least in theory they are supposed to count a year of school as equal to a year of work experience which means if you have an advanced degree that's a lot of years!

I take it you don't have private student loans?

People should really think about the costs and public service/etc. programs like this.
And, if they have private vs. aid loans. $90K is huge... if you majored in sociology, had only private loans, and didn't want to do public service, it wouldn't be wise to spend that kind of cash. If you get aid, grants, etc., and find public service or employer sponsored tuition, it's less painful.

That's correct. And I agree in retrospect I would not have spent so much time in school.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 12:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
college has become one big racket here in america, there is collusion between business and colleges, the businesses raise their employment requirements and make business for the schools. whatever happened to on-the-job training?

You got that right. 99 per cent of the degrees offered today are worthless pieces of paper. I have yet to do anything meaningful with either my Bachelor's (Music History) or my Master's (Library Science, especially since that degree came from a school that was not accredited by the American Library Association).

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2012, 10:05 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
college has become one big racket here in america, there is collusion between business and colleges, the businesses raise their employment requirements and make business for the schools. whatever happened to on-the-job training?

You got that right. 99 per cent of the degrees offered today are worthless pieces of paper. I have yet to do anything meaningful with either my Bachelor's (Music History) or my Master's (Library Science, especially since that degree came from a school that was not accredited by the American Library Association).

STEM degrees are NOT worthless pieces of paper, but yeah a degree in anything else is. It really sucks for those of us who aren't good at math :(

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2012, 11:00 pm

The worth of a degree cannot be quantified universally.
It is always a function of the degree and the person holding the degree.

There are very successful people with degrees in obscure majors, there are very successful people with degrees in the STEM field, there are very successful people without any degree.
There are also very unsuccessful people with STEM degrees.

blue_mystic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2012, 10:30 pm

Science Ph.D.

Life-draining, soul-crushing waste of time, energy and youthful exuberance. Faculty jobs are nonexistent, reserved only for the top 1% of the top 1% who happen to know someone. You find yourself having squandered the best years of your life in pursuit of something that will never materialize. If you are an Aspie with all the social grace of a rusty nail, your degree and all of your hard work are rendered worthless and you will be passed up for someone who does no work but has managed to hone his or her snake charming skills.

I'm not that bitter -- it's just kind of true. Everyone knows it but they keep offering these silly degrees to beef up the cheap labor force (grad students and postdocs). If you must do something science-related, engineering or health care (MD, PharmD) may be better options.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:14 am

i wonder what percentage of MBAs/finance degree grads get high-paying quality jobs?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:13 pm

blue_mystic wrote:
Science Ph.D.

Life-draining, soul-crushing waste of time, energy and youthful exuberance. Faculty jobs are nonexistent, reserved only for the top 1% of the top 1% who happen to know someone. You find yourself having squandered the best years of your life in pursuit of something that will never materialize. If you are an Aspie with all the social grace of a rusty nail, your degree and all of your hard work are rendered worthless and you will be passed up for someone who does no work but has managed to hone his or her snake charming skills.

I'm not that bitter -- it's just kind of true. Everyone knows it but they keep offering these silly degrees to beef up the cheap labor force (grad students and postdocs). If you must do something science-related, engineering or health care (MD, PharmD) may be better options.

Your home is in the university. Otherwise, you have to be especially entrepreneurial to make it on your own. Besides that, you're just majoring in a hobby.

That's why I haven't gone back yet. I'm not convinced I've really grown as much as I need to, and I don't feel it's time for a change of direction just yet. Grad programs don't really like for you to leave the same person as you were when you came in.

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2012, 6:37 am

One thing that seems to be sought after the world over is Statisticians. They're used in official Government statistics, medicine, and probably a few other things not coming to mind right now. Some with degrees in Mathematics become Statisticians.

I studied Psychology (often considered a somewhat useless subject) and am soon (luckily) starting a job as a Statistician.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 8:02 pm

anewman wrote:
One thing that seems to be sought after the world over is Statisticians. They're used in official Government statistics, medicine, and probably a few other things not coming to mind right now. Some with degrees in Mathematics become Statisticians.

I studied Psychology (often considered a somewhat useless subject) and am soon (luckily) starting a job as a Statistician.

You know what Mark Twain said about lies? There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics!

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2013, 3:15 am

Thats highly subjective, since it depends on what you want to do in life, plus
the job market.

Realistically, I'd say anything to do with arts, photovoltaics, quantum physics or philosophy have a niche job market.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 9:40 am

I was actually about to make a thread on this, but it seems you did it for me ;). I personally think it's irresponsible at best for colleges to offer so many, essentially worthless, degrees without warning prospective students of that fact beforehand.

Most students who enter college are fresh out of high school, still slightly immature, little to no work experience, very little idea how the real world works. How can you expect them, then, to pick a degree out of the hundreds offered that will give them a good chance of employment afterwards? Most are simply told to follow their dreams and be what they want to be, so you end up with all of these people going into English because they like to write, or history because they find it interesting...only to have a rude awakening 4 years later. I really hate seeing people make those mistakes since many of them think that a college degree is like a golden plaque that will give them a free pass into employment, but it just isn't the case.

I really think that since you're paying soo much money to universities nowadays, they should take more responsibility towards steering students to viable majors. It's a downright crime that you have these students paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for a degree that they will probably never use for the rest of their lives.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 9:52 am

MacDragard wrote:
No degree is useless.

[sarcasm]Absoultely correct. Now, do you want fries with that?[/sarcasm]

If I knew then what I know now (about AS and how opportunity is more about how well people accept you than your knowledge or skill set), I would have NEVER gone to college without KNOWING the outcome was assured.

I presumed what held me back was that I didn't have enough credentials. I now realize that it's ME that's the problem when it comes to getting a good job opportunity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 5:12 pm

I wish America had more of the efficient European-style education system which steers people towards educations which are in line with their talents as well as what the local job market will bear. in America, it is strictly a crap shoot [picking the right major].

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 5:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I wish America had more of the efficient European-style education system which steers people towards educations which are in line with their talents as well as what the local job market will bear. in America, it is strictly a crap shoot [picking the right major].

That would be amazing. I have no experience with how things are done in Europe, but the way you describe it sounds like exactly what we need.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 5:21 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That would be amazing. I have no experience with how things are done in Europe, but the way you describe it sounds like exactly what we need.

the American educational system is strictly mercenary, how to make the most profit out of the cattle [students] shoved through the educational chutes, as it were.