Need a head count -How many Aspies/AS people unemployed?

Page 3 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2013, 1:53 pm

What about anyone who has been unemployed for a long time but found work?? I am taking classes to get my electricians license at a well known university in the Boston area. The thing is you need 4000 hours of work along with the 600 hours of classes. How do you find work? Virtually everyone in the class (and this is an intro class) is working in the trade.. My instructor talks about how there is a 'ton of work' out there, we are in a booming economy, there is this huge need for electricians but ask for a lead or some a modicum of help and they become silent and looked like a freak if you aren't working

In my class people talk about $40 an hour jobs, $84 an hour for overtime, $3,000 a week blah blah union vs. non union.

Well I can't even find a $10 an hour position in the field and probably would be considered too old in my late 30s.. I realize accounting/finance and really any corporate cubicle job isn't for me

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 2:56 pm

I am unemployed and am actively trying to get SSI/SSDI disability, I have held down two jobs and both went poorly. I was fired from both jobs communication related problems. I have bipolar, PSTD and personality disorder in addition to aspergers. I literally cannot do anything right career wise, in addition to losing two jobs in the last year I was expelled from college.

Casp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2013, 6:22 pm

Underemployed. Working full time in a job that requires a HS diploma and I hold a Masters Degree in the field.

My take home (with insurance and taxes) is less than I netted in unemployment last year and I am going into savings every month just to pay my fixed expenses.

I have no idea what I am going to do going forward, but a change in career field is definitely on the horizon. I am in my 40s and in the diagnosis process. My full day of testing to see where I am on the spectrum is in a few weeks, and then I begin the process to see where I fit in this world that I thought I knew and understood.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2013, 12:59 am

What needs to be done is in order to get a job, you need to get one magic word under your belt: CONNECTIONS. Meaning you have to get hooked up with a job via a friend or a family member. Connections will get you in more quicker then possible actually speaking. That is the magic word. Also, be realistic about what you want to do, actually speaking. I was not thinking about realistic goals, but was shooting for things that I want to dream of doing, rather then things I am capable of doing (which is why I am still stuck in Community College as a Full-Time Student, even though I am supposed to hold a BA degree by now). So now I am going to have to switch my major for the 3rd-4th time by now, unfortunately speaking and I will probably pick something creative oriented, such as Photography, Graphic Design, or maybe both.

Enc
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jun 2013, 1:04 pm

Unemployed. Social security though. I am kinda happy with my situation, since I got all the freedom and money I need/want for now. The money is not that good but I did decent work before with decent pay checks. So I saved up some money. I do apply sometimes to jobs I really want. But because of crisis and just to many people who picked book keeping as education last decades there is simply to much competition.
Do have a company which is looking for work for me. But I haven't heard from them since awhile.

DoniiMann
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 7:11 pm

Diagnosed AS. Unemployed for about four years now. Got diagnosed with Parkinson's a year or so ago, so I'm looking to see how that develops, see if the diagnosis is correct. But I'm still obsessed with the whole 'find a job' thing, probably for the reasons that I'm dissatisfied with my lack of life achievement, and finances aren't great.

Not surprised about the 85%. I don't think it's just about interpersonal skills. It seems to me that the answer lies with why the 15% succeed. Their interests are commercial, they devote to it, and they are in the right place.

By contrast, I wasted my life, my interests aren't commercial, or require other skills to make them commercial, skills that don't fit my traits, and I don't develop due to lack of interest, and don't fit my current geographical location.

Examples: martial arts, religion, magic and balloon twisting, self sufficiency, and lots of other things.

For starters, too many interests, each commanding as Aspies full attention when in view, none developed enough to make a living from. I live in a small population, rural area, so not many customers. And while I am interested in them, I'm not interested in making a living out of any of them.

However, I'm even less motivated to get back into a low paying, high controlling, pointless job.

The only solution is to become one of the 15%. 85% [myself included] take too long to realise it, or simply never get around to doing it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 10:35 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
The only solution is to become one of the 15%. 85% [myself included] take too long to realise it, or simply never get around to doing it.

what is the secret method for becoming one of those blessed 15%? enquiring minds want to know.

itsthedrewshow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2013, 5:32 pm

I'm unemployed. (I've been unemployed since 2007 and I'm on SSI.)

I've read reports that over 75% of people with Asperger's are unemployed, which is a scary statistic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 6:19 pm

itsthedrewshow wrote:
I'm unemployed. (I've been unemployed since 2007 and I'm on SSI.) I've read reports that over 75% of people with Asperger's are unemployed, which is a scary statistic.

I wonder what percentage of those 75% are on public benefits? btw, welcome to our cool club 8)

austin19
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm

Unemployed right now.
If not, usually underemployed. Very much so. I have only once had a job I liked and I was let go from that because they needed my spot for someone with connections.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2013, 7:03 pm

Unemployed for the last few months but I'm also taking care of Mom with breast cancer but I'm still looking for work but the former makes it hard since I'm the only caregiver.

homers2012
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2013, 2:34 am

Unemployed again. When I'm not, I'm vastly underemployed. It takes me forever to find a job since I can't pass the interviews. I have never landed a job where I had to do an interview. I'll be turning 40 in 3 weeks and I'm still living with my parents. *sigh*

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 3:07 am

homers2012 wrote:
It takes me forever to find a job since I can't pass the interviews. I have never landed a job where I had to do an interview. I'll be turning 40 in 3 weeks and I'm still living with my parents

The only 2 jobs I ever had in my life I didn't have to do an interview for. I only had one interview ever and I didn't get the job.

I'm 38.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 1:20 pm

I'm not employed and don't have much employment history to speak of...currently working on getting on SSI and medicaid. Hopefully that works out sometime in the next couple years.

wp_4_carol
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm

Hello,

I am 48 yrs old. Every job I have had, I was fired from. I struggled to keep my last job, which was an insurance claim examiner, about 10 yrs ago. My co-workers and my supervisor "bullied" me. My work itself was good enough to keep the job, the emotional abuse wore me down. At the time, I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and now realize I have asperger traits and am not able to connect with co-workers and supervisor. My depression worsen as the emotionally abuse was becoming intolerable, my husband, at the time was of no comfort to me, and I had 2 toddlers, one with autism, at the time. I do collect SSI benefits, but lately I can't make through the month with the benefits I receive. I still have disturbing dreams of the way I was treated at my last job. I have been taking medications and going to therapy for 14 yrs now and my therapist says I'm still not well enough to hold a job. I'm more depressed than ever. I want to work, but am terrified, to the point of paralysis, to be around co-workers. I have been searching for years to find a at-home computer job, yet everything I have found is scams. :(

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 5:37 pm

Quote:
I myself have always had trouble in school. I was good at taking tests but horrible at doing homework or busy work. Whenever I worked on project I would be over ambitious and had trouble just doing meaningless projects.

This describes me more or less in respect to schools and jobs.
I am unemployed, have not looked for work for a while as I just gave up and am living off savings. I would like to work if I could find and get a job neither social nor noisy.