Page 5 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

wentworth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2008, 12:52 am

VP Operations: Spend time puzzling out process improvements, ideal infrastructures, and herding people into using their strengths and not their weaknesses. Most can be done through broad commentary that doesn't actually involve hands on management. Managers under you execute real work and you simply proscribe visions which involve how things ought to be, however you are expected to execute.

Best job ever.

UnderThere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2008, 11:44 am

1.) Research Assistant - Non-Scientific (Darn that Dyscaclia!): History, Politics, or Art. This is close to my current job description but I know I could earn way more if I lived in a major city. I deal with facts and books about 80% of the time.

2.) Artist - Painting, Crafty things.

3.) Writer - "on the side" Got a 4 part fantasy novel stuck in my brain that needs to get free some day.

4.) Housewife - Alright...so call me old-fashioned. I get to be alone most of the day...be creative and have consistent routines. Sounds great!

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:22 am

UnderThere wrote:

2.) Artist - Painting, Crafty things.

3.) Writer - "on the side" Got a 4 part fantasy novel stuck in my brain that needs to get free some day.

Ditto on these two. Hope you sit down and write that novel one day soon :)

I had a novel in my head for 17 years, finally got it all on paper 2 years ago. It was surprisingly easy to write, maybe because it was in there all along.

[Glad to see there are other writers in here]

Best wishes,

atmosphere88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2008, 10:11 am

my dream job is professional musician in a small unknown and hardly cared about band

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2008, 12:31 pm

anything associated with forensics or medicine (in general). i also wanted to be an architect, but i dunno... :x
and art sucks...

Quote:
Housewife - Alright...so call me old-fashioned. I get to be alone most of the day...be creative and have consistent routines. Sounds great!
yeah especially when you marry some rich guy... preferably very VERY rich. YAY! MONEY! and lots of free time to waste :3 (i'm serious.)

UnderThere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 3:24 pm

Quote:
yeah especially when you marry some rich guy... preferably very VERY rich. YAY! MONEY! and lots of free time to waste :3 (i'm serious.)

Well, he won't ever be VERY rich, but he will soon have a pile of computer/network certifications. That'll help the income situation. :D He's fine with me not working even if we never have kids because two incomes does not always equate more money or higher quality of life for two people.

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 5:15 pm

AspCat wrote:
I have been in and out of 2-3 jobs over the past few years, and it does not look good on a resume. I am a high-tech Ph.D. and really revolted against all the 'program meetings' and multitasking. I just got another position working for a well-known company and have been pretty happy so far. The difference? I spend most of my time in my cube, solving problems my way, interacting with my boss (who listens and is supportive) or to others who are just as geeky as I am. No more salesmen. No more executives. No more marketing types.

This experience has convinced me I really am AS. And the point of all this? Seek out a job which is solitary. It really helps.

I worked for a major software company before my breakdown and I have to agree the program meetings and multitasking (read: random crap that wasn't important) was excrutiating. When they let me do individual contributor work in my own office, I was able to handle things better; but my skills (visual/linguisitic) put me into a position where I had to interface with people all the time and be "influential without authority"... this completely fried me. Also the flourescent lights and noisy hallways made it hard on me as well. My boss wasn't supportive and his boss most certainly wasn't.

My perfect job would be to use my graphic/UI design and writing skills from my home with almost no human interaction at all... maybe only a few emails a week, no phones and no meetings. Just tell me exactly what you want and when you want it.. and I'll do it for you. Nice, neat and without the agony of meetings, debates and arguments.

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 5:19 pm

Rainstorm5 wrote:
. Hope you sit down and write that novel one day soon :)

I had a novel in my head for 17 years, finally got it all on paper 2 years ago. It was surprisingly easy to write, maybe because it was in there all along.

I have several novels started and many plot outlines for others. My big problem is motivation and fear of failure. I also have had some feedback that my emotional portrayals are somewhat stiff. I do have problems with understanding how people go from one emotion to another... and how to write it so it's natural. Was this a problem for you at all?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 3:36 pm

I think I just got my Dream Job!! !! !

Level One Help Desk at an Airport.
I won't have to physically go fix anything. I just type out an incident report in their program.
They told me to just be polite, and not consider anything an emergency.
(Of course, the first thing that went through my mind was a Terrorist invasion of the airport, and we're trapped in out little IT closet while everything's getting blown up. I've watched too many Hollywood "Die Harder" movies late at night.)

Odarp
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2008, 5:46 pm

well i have 3 dream jobs

1.- Bass player in a band (really cool, and the bass player usually get almost no attention so thats cool with me)
2.- Surgeon (but my motor skills are not that good)
3.- Game designer (just being left alone designing my games, and then programing them)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 3:27 pm

For me, it would be something where one makes his own rules, and can be creative, instead of using rigid, time-honored theories to solve problems.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

viska
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 12:06 am

For those wanting to become computer programmers, read closely:

Economist.com wrote:
Indeed, there are those who argue that computer science is really a social science. Jonathan Pincus, an expert on software reliability who recently left Microsoft Research to become an independent consultant, has observed that “the key issues [in programming] relate to people and the way they communicate and organise themselves.” Grady Booch of IBM Rational once tracked 50 developers for 24 hours, and found that only 30% of their time was spent coding—the rest was spent talking to other members of their team.
(Link to Source)

I work on a large software project and I've noticed the same thing. I hardly ever get to zone out in the terminal window and do what I like the best about working with computers. It's mostly meetings, answering/asking questions from other developers, talking to customer service about how the program works, talking to the program manager about how it should work, and so on.

ozbiker
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2008, 2:38 am

Embedded control software developer.
I've been doing this for the past 15 years in my own business.

Upsides: You get to write software that talks to other machines - hey! no people involved. I'ts easy to understand machines and how they think, so it's a breeze to talk to them. Always predictable with well defined actions and responses. The software is an image, like an atlas or a road map. I can jump into this world and live there forever.

Downsides: You gotta eat sometimes, and take the kids to school, and go shopping, and speak to the wife once in a while, and meet friends occaisionally, and..and..and.....
Nt businessmen recognise aspies instantly, it's in their genes - don't expect to get paid for all your hard work.

The_Cinephile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2008, 3:12 pm

My dream job is either director or cinematographer.

I'm going to film school, so this isn't exactly a complete pipe dream either.

:)

Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room

The_Cinephile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2008, 3:14 pm

By the way, Arcade Fire is my favorite band.
Just thought I'd throw that in.
Therefore, my second dream job would be Win Butler's groupie.

Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 3:17 pm

1. Software/game Developer
2. Magician
3. Game Tester (even THAT seems better than the job I have now)
4. 3D Animator
5. Film Director
6. Author