Page 6 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

AS4Life
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2008, 7:17 pm

Dream Jobs? How about jobs i'm working towards:

1. 3D Character Modeler (for movies or games)
2. Character Animator (for movies or games)
3. Texture Artist (for movies or games)
4. Concept Artist (for movies or games)
5. Comic book artist
6. Graphics Artist

Another good deal would be to make a successful internet animation series. But we'll see, for now i'm Teaching Flash. I'll probably apply for an internship at some of the local video game companies, see if any of them bite. Hopefully get my modeling reel done up and i can go volunteer at Siggraph again and get it out there.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 9:21 pm

I don't know about Aspies in general, but my dream jobs are:

1. Poet

2. Editor

3. Restaurant, or Television Critque

4. Speech Writer

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 9:22 pm

The_Cinephile wrote:
By the way, Arcade Fire is my favorite band.
Just thought I'd throw that in.
Therefore, my second dream job would be Win Butler's groupie.
Arcade Fire went to my friend's school :D She invited me to come as a guest, but I don't really like that kind of music.

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2008, 9:31 pm

Researcher--I'm shooting for a PhD in psych. (Still just an undergrad now though). I want to research AS.

Aside from testing subjects I wouldn't need to interact much with people. Also, I could possibly work my own hours.

A psych grad school/PhD program would be right up my alley because most of the people would be sort of "out there" and I wouldn't have to worry about being quirky that much. Besides, data analysis would take up so much of my time that I'd have an excuse about not being out on the social scene.

No way I go into counseling with that psych degree. I'm probably the last person someone would ask for social advice.

I may apply to 12-24 grad schools. If none of them take me I guess I'll just have to work in the computer field and get certified as a technician. I really don't want to do that though--so hopefully they'll take some quirky guy with a 3.90 (still ticked that I won't have a 4.0).

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 9:32 pm

pakled wrote:
Lighthouse Keeper...with Internet access..;)

:D :D :D :D :D I was worked as a fire lookout in i nice high tower for 3 weeks, with no internet or tv, just a great view

ghostofzoelund
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2008, 9:43 am

This isn't a dream job, but it's the only job I've found that worked for me: personal assistant. Obviously, you'd have to get along well with the person you work for, which I do.

It works for me because I usually only have to deal with the one person, and most of my responsibilities involve paperwork and organization, which I'm good at.

My dream job is being an author, which I'm working on :wink:

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 9:56 am

I enjoy working in Student Affairs; I usually have interesting problems to solve and rarely do exactly the same thing every day.

Working with largely NT college students can be pretty tricky and my student employees often don't do things the way I would like them to... like always putting the master keys back in the lockbox before I get to my office in the morning or organizing the room entry forms by time and putting them in a neat stack on the left corner of my desk...

I may end up getting a Master's in History and one in Library Science and working as an academic librarian within the next few years, though.

Paul56
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2008, 11:07 am

My dream job & reasons are pretty close to yours. I've always wanted to become a butler. Small, relatively stable groups are okay with me, so serving a family wouldn't be a great challenge. The routine, the organising, the detail work, & the "at-home" work setting would be perfect for me.

In fact, I'm in the process of pulling together the tuition to attend a great butler's school in the Netherlands. It's taken me a long time to get up the guts to do this, but I'm 51 and it's Now Or Never Time.

ghostofzoelund wrote:
This isn't a dream job, but it's the only job I've found that worked for me: personal assistant. Obviously, you'd have to get along well with the person you work for, which I do.

It works for me because I usually only have to deal with the one person, and most of my responsibilities involve paperwork and organization, which I'm good at.

My dream job is being an author, which I'm working on :wink:

steveos87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2008, 7:22 pm

I see that many want their dream jobs want to be software developers and network admins. Mine is totally different. I wanted to be a telecom manager for a long time, manage phone systems, phones, lines (without dealing with wires though) and stuff like that but now that's disappearing more and more.

Now if some place has a VoIP setup (like a Cisco or something), a network admin more likely deals with that stuff. I am PDD/NOS, and because of that I am not much of a geek, more like a techie. I don't understand networking, server, programming, and stuff like that, and that's why I like telecom/telephony because its a different technology that I can understand and apply to. Its an older school tech, something I wished I could do for a job but more likely won't happen.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:55 pm

I work on a helpdesk, and it's a dream come true ! !

Small staff, easy questions to answer, controlled environment, lotsa Techs drop by to say Hullo and talk Techie stuff ! !

Love It ! !!

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

30 Mar 2008, 9:39 am

I have worked on Naval Aircraft at Organization level maintenance, after the military as a civilian reworking Fast Attack subs and I am now a Union Electrician. I have had some suck jobs as well, but these 3 are all excellent. Keeping recon Aircraft flying during the Cold War meant that I was not going to be a spectator if the balloon went up, I wouldn't have been a heroic Audey Murphy, but I would have played a minor role in confronting the Reds. Likewise, keeping the Subs in service that kill other Subs and enemy Carrier Task Forces was a rewarding experience. The technical aspects of learning Wiring and Instrumentation, Pitot-Static, Fuel Quanity, etc. was outstanding. Being a Journeyman Inside Wireman also is great, I never do a job interview anymore, instead I go to the Hall and get another job, the pay is very good, we consider ourselves the best Union there is and it shows in our work conditions. The layout and calculations required, as well as the physical demands of the work let you know that you have earned your money. If you have a potty mouth, like I do, it's not really considered a bad thing and if you are working for a total jerk its okay to tell him "get my money, I'm going to the hall". :D

CatDogPerson
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2008, 1:12 am

I vote writer as well. Puts my overactive imagination to excellent use, and I can be as asocial as I damn well please! :) Writers are supposed to be weird hermits anyway, amirite?

I'm a housewife right now, and it's pleasant, just me and all the furkids all day long (we have 3 dogs and 3 cats). Do a little cleaning, a little internet, it's great. Just wish I got paid for it. :(

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:01 am

My dream jobs are:
1. Graphics designer for games
2. Doing research on autism, schizophrenia, and most of the DSM IV soon to be DSM V in 2011 or 2012
3. Wildlife artist (this is what I do now)

curiouslittleboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2008, 8:54 am

Alphawolf wrote:
This is the killer awesome job for an aspie or HFA that loves computers with a autistic's unique focused passion. I know because I have one. I love this job because where else can I enjoy all my autistic quirks. I make weird noises when thinking. I do the finger flapping and odd things when walking they help me stay connected and keep me from crashing into things. Staying connected to this typical reality is not easy for me. You can dress pretty casual if you are part of the IT depertment. Usually lots of Lonewolves in the IT department so the big bosses tend to ignore the lapses of dress code in IT people. A person who has odd quirks outside IT might be considered a non-conformist trouble maker. The same non-conformist trouble maker in the IT field is a highly respected if very excentric computer genius normally strict management people just let pass. I have seen this double standard more times than I can count on the job.

When you are third level computer technical support in a nice large federal agency and are very good at your assigned job life is hard. The pressure is never too much for me because, the work is constant. The cool thing is I get to figure out problems by myself in the lab. So thats perk #1. I get lots of alone time in a nice lab just me, a computer, a computer related problem, the operating system and the challenge of resolving the problem. Perk 2 I get to deal with motivated people who want desperately to get back to work soon as possible so they are always happy to see me. I have a solid reputation for being able to fix problems so people do not care that I have odd autistic quirks and clothing preferences. Perk 3 I get to travel. Perk #4 I get paid pretty good money for doing a job I enjoy so much I'd do it for free.

If there is one single bit of advice I'd give any autistic person looking for a job is take the best paying job related to your extreme fascination or interest you do well. Mine was computers. I love computers even when I am hope I play on computers. If you can find a good paying job where you work is like play you will never get tired of your job. You will learn to teach yourself to tolerate the people and social demands just to have the positive opportunities to work with computers. Taking a job where you have to do too much changing of yourself to be a success is a far more risky challenge. I have heard some people say bad things about me and before I could open my mouth to set them straight other people have come to my defense often being more harsh that I would have been. When you can fix someone's computer you become their hero and others will protect you from office bullies.

As a computer geek eventually all the office bullies will be in a situation where you are the very computer nerd with the special skills they will need to help them meet a vital deadline. You could screw them over but that's not how to win for good thats just a got-cha which keeps bad things going. Naw if he is respectful to you then treat that bully like a king, fix his system so it rocks. Let him see you are a better man than he has been to you and its been my experience them former bullies become your biggest defenders. I have found that when you get a job where everyone will need you in time that you make lots of allies. The key to surviving in the workplace is cultivating allies. If you work in an office where you have allies they will explain your disability to new people as they come in. If you build allied relationships at work people will often stand up with you on things you need.

In the office politics plays a big part in doing well. As an autistic I do not play their games well so I let my allies play my office politics for me. Oh yeah more of why IT jobs are good for aspies, you are indoors, you earn good money, you might get to travel, you are a respected professional after you earn your place based on hard work. The work is stressful but most aspies should be able to adapt in a few years, they just have to hang in there till they get used to the patterns of stress at their worksite. You get to work with geeks and nerds who will likely talk intelligently about the things you like.
And for those of us worse at IT than most NT's? :P

Hmmm....prolly doing Research of some kind, maybe physics or electrical engineering...or prolly AI.....maybe.

AnnieDog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2008, 8:21 am

I'm with Velodog - I can do something that may seem dull, but I like being part of something much bigger.

I'm a Contracts Administrator. I move paper around all day according to a bunch of laws and regulations (like a para-lawyer). I sometimes have to talk with people, but it's under really controlled circumstances. I have my own office so that I can have confidential discussions, when needed.

Right now I'm a defense contractor working on Naval and Space systems (some weapons, some not). I worked on Boston's Big Dig and some other construction before this job. I like being able to see that my paper made something.

As a kid, I wanted to be an exo-biologist. I dream of living in a lighthouse or on a farm.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

04 Apr 2008, 6:16 pm

AnnieDog wrote:
I'm with Velodog - I can do something that may seem dull, but I like being part of something much bigger.

I'm a Contracts Administrator. I move paper around all day according to a bunch of laws and regulations (like a para-lawyer). I sometimes have to talk with people, but it's under really controlled circumstances. I have my own office so that I can have confidential discussions, when needed.

Right now I'm a defense contractor working on Naval and Space systems (some weapons, some not). I worked on Boston's Big Dig and some other construction before this job. I like being able to see that my paper made something.

As a kid, I wanted to be an exo-biologist. I dream of living in a lighthouse or on a farm.
Cool jod AnnieDog!