Quick question for computer programmers.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2006, 12:48 am

I was looking at a career for now going into doing computer programming. The only thing is that I cannot work on Sunday mornings because I'm a devout Methodost and also during the months of Sep through Dec I cannot work on Sundays at all because I have season tickets for my team.
How big of a problem will that be?

emp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2006, 3:05 am

Software engineering is a tricky business and programs usually require at least one ritual sacrifice to the Great Bit Bucket in the Sky before they work properly. If you are not prepared to give homage to the Great Bit Bucket in the Sky, then this work is probably unsuitable for you.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2006, 3:21 am

It does depend a lot on who you're computer programming for and a bit on what kind of programming you're doing.

If you are working on a big bureaucratic system with projects, deadlines and testing - you're bound to be expected to work weekends when it gets behind and you may be expected to hang round on weekends for testing and pilot runs. A favourite time for implementing code is on the weekend when it can cause fewer problems in the office.

Invariably when a big project gets implemented - stuff goes wrong, and programmers are expected to be on hand to fix it immediately - not that this is good strategy because these kind of immediate fixes often make things worse - but this could mean you're working all night and all weekend from time to time.

If you want to write games software, you may end up with no life outside programming at all. However if there are people with the same devout commitments as you - like the footy team itself - and you get to program for them, it may be more flexible and able to accomodate your needs for a life outside programming.

I reckon - you might make 80% of your commitments but not all of them. If this is a problem, get a job that requires no after hours work. Like a receptionist maybe?

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2006, 7:41 am

Uh, guys, I have a question for all of you here. How often do computer programmers work weekends? Because all along, I've been considering being a computer programmer myself once I get out of college because of the pay and because I enjoy working with computers, but if I have to work every single weekend nonstop, then I burn out.

lausey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2006, 9:47 am

I am a computer programmer and very rarely work weekends. It all depends on the company.

When going for your interview, explain that you always need Sundays free and your reasons. They might be accommodating.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2006, 11:13 am

Thanks for your reasurance, Lausey. Man, you guys are great.

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2006, 1:27 pm

Actually I'm looking at a career with computers and computer programming is an option. I don't mind working Saturdays but Sundays is a different matter. It's just I do believe in putting God first ahead of money and during Sep to Dec I will not be able to work on Sundays at all.