The waiting game during the job hunt

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

I sent in the stuff that IBM told me to fill out (online exam AND form) last Friday...and i have not herd from them. My application to Accenture got rejected (Sent application yesterday, got the answer today) and its as been quiet with everyone else. I am playing the dreaded waiting game for any results to come in for a while now and i feel like loser since little has come my way. Here i am, fresh out of the college and NO ONE is biting to get me! I feel a bit in the dumps since no one is taking me. It has been 2 and a 1/2 months since i finished school and i feel like i am not getting no where and an utter loser. I am gonna wait a bit longer till i resort to more drastic measures. I am fully aware of the economy and it's current state but for some reason i just can't click it out there in the job market.

I contact the people i had interviews with usually after a week or so. I would call them everyday but i don't want to be seen as annoying. A recruiter i met is willing to help me but i told her i would ask her help when i am at the end of my rope and i feel as if i am reaching that part.

How do you all deal with waiting for responses from companies?

I feel like i am running out of options.

coralbell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2011, 7:55 pm

About the waiting - its hard but here's what worked for me. Try, as best you know how, to balance your time researching, cold calling, applying and interviewing with taking care of your health. Its all the stuff you already know - nutrition, limit caffeine, exercise, and don't mess with your sleep.

Get up at the same time each morning, just as if you were going to work, so that your body clock can regulate. Even going for a walk is helpful. Plan for rest and recreation to keep yourself balanced. Make a schedule for times when you do the job search/research (on weekdays), and times when you rest and refresh (weekends.)

Good luck in the job search.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 9:24 pm

I'm trying to get a state job and it's so f****d cause you have to take tests for jobs that only pop up once in a while and dont coincide with actual hiring.

I applied at the place I used to have my assistantship with like 4 months ago and they basically guaranteed they would hire me but I have to wait for this exam to open up before I can be considered

On the flipside I just took another state exam to be a domestic terrorism analyst and it was offered when no position was available. I smoked the test but no clue if there will even be an opportunity there.

I know Illinois is jacked up economically real bad but this crap just seems horribly inefficient

FadeAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2011, 3:36 pm

You're seriously overreacting..

If you send something in on a friday (nobody will even look at that until at least monday) that they have to evaluate, you need to give them a little bit more than 3 work days.
How do you deal with the waiting period? Well..you get used to it, but it will always be uncomfortable. Maybe focus on something relaxing (a hobby you might have less time for once you're employed, for example..).

2.5 months since graduation is nothing, and you should know that. Many people go celebrate their degree by going travelling for several months..or do something else.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 3:52 pm

I live every day knowing that since I am putting forth a lot of effort (applying and following up) I will eventually get a job soon. I would be an asset to any company. That's a hint: stay confident. Even during a normal economy, it's hard to find a job two months after graduation. I know some of us have bills to pay - my bank account runs dry in September, but you have to stay positive and keep faith. Beware self-fulfilling prophecies, i.e. "I am a loser".

We'll both make it - one day at a time. Use this time to do something you really like!

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2011, 5:56 pm

kouzoku wrote:
I live every day knowing that since I am putting forth a lot of effort (applying and following up) I will eventually get a job soon. I would be an asset to any company. That's a hint: stay confident. Even during a normal economy, it's hard to find a job two months after graduation. I know some of us have bills to pay - my bank account runs dry in September, but you have to stay positive and keep faith. Beware self-fulfilling prophecies, i.e. "I am a loser".

We'll both make it - one day at a time. Use this time to do something you really like!

I share your sympathy. I have been getting a rash of rejection letters as of late for jobs i am qualified for. It has been dis discouraging but i have been sending a ton of applications all over and i am sure something will bite. I am still waiting for IBM to get back to me. it hope it is soon.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 6:55 pm

I know every rejection letter feels bad. It's hard not to wonder what could I have done better? but that's not really a good way to go about it. Maybe my skills just didn't fit the position or someone was simply more qualified than me. I don't take it personally.

Also, I think I got a degree that doesn't suit me. I would like to go back to Uni but I am short on cash now.

Good luck with IBM!