Overcome anxiety of looking in a mirror before an interview

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

I used to struggle looking in the mirror in general. My therapist at the time suggested the tip I posted about here on my blog: http://asdjobsink.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-do-you-look-for-your-interview.html

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 11:08 pm

Thanks for the post and link, Meow. Concrete how-to advise and tips are appreciated and utilized.

I myself am never delighted with my appearance but it's not a big deal to me. I use the mirror regularly in order simply, to do my best.

As a former clothing designer and patternmaker in the industry, I have a good eye for what looks good; but it's clinical; do this, change that. It's a visual thing; not an emotional thing. It doesn't impact my self image; it's about my projected image.

So when my friends say; I bought this item of clothing but it doesn't fit right because I couldn't stand to try it on in the store and see myself in the mirror; I'm always a bit mystified. Just put it on and look. If you don't like it try something else until you find the better looking item. It's just a task, like washing a window; you do it until it looks better.

Your advise backs the process up a step; look in the mirror in measured doses until the sensitive emotional response is overcome.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

30 Jul 2011, 11:35 pm

This looks like a potentially helpful blog for me. Thank you for pointing it out. I'll have to read more entrees.

As for the eye contact. 8O I have no anxiety seeing my own reflection because, as a painter/sketcher,
I often use my reflection to choose the composition for portraits (and use reference photos to fill in their facial details so it's not me). http://fatal-noogie.deviantart.com/gallery/6681382
In fact, looking thru a camera viewfinder eliminates most of my anxiety in the presence of others.
I should just go in for interviews holding the camera to my eye the whole time. :lol:
Of course, that might make the interviewer nervous. :? I'll tell them, "One of us is going to feel awkward, and it's not the person that's me." :wink:
(that last part was sarcasm)

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

Thank you both for kind the comments.

@Fatal: It would certainly be major ballsy to say that in an interview.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

09 Aug 2011, 1:44 pm

When people make eye contact, do they look into both eyes at the same time?

I realized that what I do in the mirror is look at one eye (both my eyes looking at the same eye),
then maybe shift to look at the other eye.
This by itself is hard enuf for me when I look at other people.

So in my mirror I tried looking at both my eyes at the same time and got totally creeped-out. 8O

Which method of eye contact do most NT's use (looking at one eye or two)?