Hyperbitch Supervisor, how to cope?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 12:32 am

Despite my bad-ass moniker, I'm rather sensitive and tend to overanalyze social interactions. I've been working as a contractor for a Big Pharma company for more than three weeks. A week ago, I started taking on case load. The senior ops tech is supposed to be training me but she really has one bad mofo attitude and our interactions are starting to bring me down. She screams at me when I make a mistake. She berates me for small oversights. It is as if I'm beneath her contempt. All day today she was condescending and snarky with me. I nearly reached my breaking point where I almost got stuck in an endless mental cycle of ruminating over our interactions. I felt as though nothing I could do would result in a positive outcome. I was very close to freaking out from anxiety.

Don't know how I can handle this interaction. All I know is that how I handle this will determine if I have a job or not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 1:00 am

After she leaves the room...

1. Drop an unused condom under her desk where she can't see it from her chair, but where anyone who walks by might.

2. Leave a half-empty bottle of cheap gin tucked behind her waste-basket.

3. Get a copy of the Q'uran, Mein Kampf, or the Communist Manifesto, and place it in among her reference books.

4. Take a screenshot of her desktop, save it as wallpaper, and hide her icons; then come to her "rescue" when she loses her cool.

5. Obtain some Asian fish sauce and sprinkle a few drops of it around her desk and on her chair.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 1:12 am

BitterGeek wrote:
Despite my bad-ass moniker, I'm rather sensitive and tend to overanalyze social interactions. I've been working as a contractor for a Big Pharma company for more than three weeks. A week ago, I started taking on case load. The senior ops tech is supposed to be training me but she really has one bad mofo attitude and our interactions are starting to bring me down. She screams at me when I make a mistake. She berates me for small oversights. It is as if I'm beneath her contempt. All day today she was condescending and snarky with me. I nearly reached my breaking point where I almost got stuck in an endless mental cycle of ruminating over our interactions. I felt as though nothing I could do would result in a positive outcome. I was very close to freaking out from anxiety.

Don't know how I can handle this interaction. All I know is that how I handle this will determine if I have a job or not.

Obviously it is she who is incompetent at her job assignment of training you. Tell human resources that the person who is supposed to be training you is being abusive towards you.

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2011, 9:11 am

How long do you have to work there and how much do you need/want the job/care?
You could possibly get workplace support or advice, I have an autism employment adviser.
You could see if anyone else can train you. You may be able to get the help elsewhere without upsetting anyone, or get enough support that you make less mistakes.
It may be that if you prove yourself it may stop. It may just get better as you have not been there long.

You could try leaving the room for 2 minutes to calm down as you don't want to lose your cool at work. I would be very professional and don't do anything you regret even if she is crazy. You could tell someone outside work or write a diary to offload.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm

I really like this company I work for and I want to stay in this job as long as they want to renew my assignment. It's the harsh criticism that is leading me toward a paralyzing fear of making the smallest mistake. I made a mistake that put the UNIX accounts that I created out of compliance with SoX. There was no malicious intent, I'm learning the process. But I got called onto the carpet and read the riot act by the hyperbitch.

Tomorrow I'll have some face time with my manager and I will try to get some perspective on this hyperbitch.

My therapist's phone number is programming into my Droid and if I have to, I'll hijack a conference room to call my therapist in distress.

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2011, 3:10 am

Good luck, I also have an issue with my difficult supervisor, at the moment I can't return to work even though I have come off sick leave.