Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Snead03
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

I had a situation where I felt very cornered and I went to HR as a result. Now my HR rep calls me crazy. I really wish I hadn't brought it up but I felt I wasn't being treated properly.

My new manager kept telling me to look into her eyes but I did not want to. I never like to look into people's eyes if they are new to me. It felt like she was pestering me over and over again. I felt cornered in this cubicle. Any advice?

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

You're going to have to make eye contact especially with your superiors. Not making eye contact gives people the impression that you're insecure and insincere. Practice with others if you have to.

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

Still, for an HR rep to call you crazy is crossing a line into unprofessional behavior, in my opinion.

It's funny, though, I have had a grand total of one employer out of... well, more than I care to admit to, where I felt safe going to HR. In one case I filed a complaint, only to find out the HR rep who handled my complaint was married to the person I'd filed the complaint about. My complaint somehow disappeared before it ever got entered into the system. And from that day forth the person I'd complained about had a personal vendetta against me. It blew chunks.

I wish people didn't hang so much significance on having people look them in the eye. That's as obnoxious as judging someone by how firm their handshake is. It'd be a lot better if they could just cut you some slack.

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2011, 9:23 am

I agree, looking in people's eyes could be taken the wrong way or possibly checking on people to see if they are working.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt180296.html

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm

I have gotten away with shoddy eye contact by explaining to people that my eyes twitch on their own and so I often look at them at an odd angle because I can see them more stable like that. This and the fact that I work on the phone and eye contact is irrelevant there has gotten me off the hook. But yes, calling someone crazy does cross the line.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!