Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2012, 5:07 pm

Ok basically I find what people say about special interests doesn't seem to work for me, when in happy and social I think about them just as much as when I am unhappy and unsocial it is always just as powerful. My problem with this and work comes from the fact that every special interest I've ever had has been one character form a book, tv series, recently a play (the joys! Ugh) but every character I am into isn't just knowledge about them I try to be that person which means everything about my interests and thoughts,down to wearing make-up becomes me as well. I've wanted to be a journalist, an astronemer, a fashion designer, a teacher... Because thats what my character is/wants to be! So how on earth am I supposed to find a career path that I want to go into. Because my recent and, I'm praying, short interest on the character I was playing in my drama class I now desperatly want to do a drama higher and I'm backt I wanting to be a teacher again since that's what she is. I've always wanted to be a vet in the background but how do I try hard and get the grades if my interest is making me do something else. My interests always seem to last long enough for me to make a stupid mistake and I want to lead my life not my interest's life, how do I find a way to do this??
Thank you

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

03 Oct 2012, 12:11 am

People have told me the secret to having a good job is to figure out how to turn my interests into a career but my interests are things like listening to music, web browsing, watching vids, chatting with my girlfriend so there really isn't a way to make money off of that. I have physical & mental disabilities that limit me with employment. I applied for jobs that I felt I might could do & then when I got hired I sort of became a workaholic & didn't have much time for my interests when I was able to work overtime. Perhaps that approach would work for you(pun isn't intentional) Figure out what your capable of doing job wis & peruse those angles & give it your best shot instead of factoring your interests.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 03 Oct 2012, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AliceInAspieland
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2012, 6:10 am

I'm 26 years old and still don't know what I want to do. It's frustrating.

As a suggestion, I don't know what your social skills are like or how you are around people. But have you considered a theatre course. I know acting is a hard field to get into, but if that doesn't work out you could always get into a behind the scenes job, like costuming or set design. Costuming or make-up might be something to look into, since you seem to be good at spotting the elements that are a character and making them reality. Like for instance changing the way you dress to suit whichever character you're focused on. You'd also be surrounded by people who are interested in or think similarly.

If you want to try it out, there might be a volunteer based theatre project nearby or a short course you can do.

Good luck.