Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 7:25 pm

So I really want to run my own floral and interior design business or just work as a florist. I'm really worried that I won't be able to dress they way I usually dress.

My mom told me that you can dress how ever you want outside of work. Even then, you can dress how ever you want as long as business casual isn't required.

So, do you work a job that requires a uniform or a certain dress code and are you able to dress how ever you want outside of work and not get fired for it?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

dajand8
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2012, 9:12 pm

if you own the business you can dress however the hell you want. But, bear in mind your choice may turn off some potential customers if it is too radical. If you work for someone, they will probably be uniform nazis and you will have little say as to how you can dress. unfortunately...

dajand8
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2012, 9:13 pm

hope it works out... you seem cool.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 9:26 pm

I can pretty much wear whatever I wish. Pajamas might raise eyebrows and nudity certainly would. But just about anything else is okay.

I generally wear a t-shirt and shorts in the summer and t-shirt and levis in the winter.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 4:13 am

I am a cleaner and I am required to look neat and clean. The only rule that I am aware of is no jeans or trainers. I wear a knee length skirt and a long sleeved top with a jumper on top (all black) because that is what I like. Most people in florist shops that I have seen tend to wear black trousers or jeans, practical shoes and a polo shirt. I imagine that the dress code is not as strict as it might be in other business environments.

Where I work it is mentioned that you mustn't bring the company's reputation into disrepute, this applies even outside of work time - so presumably dressing up in Nazi uniforms or posing naked on the internet would be frowned upon as it could reflect badly on the company. Beyond that I think I am completely free to wear whatever I want.

It might help if we knew the type of clothes that you usually wear. That way we might be able to adapt them to the workplace and you might feel more comfortable.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 7:55 am

SilkySifaka wrote:
I am a cleaner and I am required to look neat and clean. The only rule that I am aware of is no jeans or trainers. I wear a knee length skirt and a long sleeved top with a jumper on top (all black) because that is what I like. Most people in florist shops that I have seen tend to wear black trousers or jeans, practical shoes and a polo shirt. I imagine that the dress code is not as strict as it might be in other business environments.

Where I work it is mentioned that you mustn't bring the company's reputation into disrepute, this applies even outside of work time - so presumably dressing up in Nazi uniforms or posing naked on the internet would be frowned upon as it could reflect badly on the company. Beyond that I think I am completely free to wear whatever I want.

It might help if we knew the type of clothes that you usually wear. That way we might be able to adapt them to the workplace and you might feel more comfortable.

I'm MallGoth. I wear a crap load of black. I like wearing t-shirts with logos and characters on them(Deadpool, Gir, Sailor Saturn etc...). I wear lots of skull things. You get the idea.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 9:16 am

[quote="xxZeromancerlovexx" I'm MallGoth. I wear a crap load of black. I like wearing t-shirts with logos and characters on them(Deadpool, Gir, Sailor Saturn etc...). I wear lots of skull things. You get the idea.[/quote]

Oh I see. Well I see no problem with wearing black (I only wear black at work) but the skull things probably aren't work appropriate (unless of course you worked in a shop that sold those kind of clothes). But there should be no problem at all with wearing those clothes outside work. It might be a good idea to wear 'work appropriate clothes' when you apply (if you do so in person) and for interviews but otherwise you should be fine to wear your favourite things outside work. I know it's not fun to feel that you are compromising your identity but I don't think anyone is ever truly themselves at work anyway.

I hadn't heard of MallGoths before because I am very old and out of date with everything!

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 10:21 am

My day job requires a collared shirt and a pair of khakis or slacks. No tennis shoes or tee shirts.

There's a ton of variety you can do with that.

My night job requires a uniform tee shirt and either Dickies or Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) pants and steel toed boots, which I've actually gotten used to wearing all the time.

It is true that if you own a business, you can wear what you want, and as a florist you could prob wear a tee shirt since you'll be watering plants and such.

Just be careful if you wear tee shirts with wording on it. You don't want to alienate customers.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 11:16 am

You can get away with all-black clothing in the workplace, as long as it's plain. Leave your gothy accessories/purses/stompy boots and graphic tees for your off-hours. Your black jeans, plain black tees, black skirts, sweaters and jackets are fine. A lot of people in the creative and design professions wear all black (think theater techs, fashion designers, hair stylists) and I've never seen a dressed-up florist.

muff
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm

i felt most comfortable in my warehouse/retain job. we had a dress code, but i could look as interesting as i was feeling (bracelets and painted nails, bright shoes and everything). i liked the fact that every day i knew i had to wear the white t shirt and the khaki pants and the red apron. i had that job for eleven years and the dress code was a big help.

when i went into research at a university, it was horrible. had to pick out a new thing every day and what was worse on top of that is that it had to look semi professional and semi not professional because i was an academic, but i was meeting with research participants to conduct interviews. too much grey area for me and too much dressing like i wouldnt normally dress.

job i have now is for street outreach. we have uniforms. some weeks i wear the same shirt and jeans every day of the week. i can also wear the little extras that i could in my warehouse job. this job makes me so stressful that i want to die sooo...

my point is that although wearing the same thing every day is ideal for me, obviously it is not the main reason why i would or would not be happy in a job (as you can see from the difference between the warehouse job and the outreach job).

i hope this was helpful.