Have you ever had to pull the 'neurodiversity card'?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

metalab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2013, 12:34 am

I mean that in the way that black people are sometimes said to pull the 'race card' with some statement like "is it because I'm black"?

Have you ever been backed into a corner with certain accusations or misunderstandings where you felt you needed to explain your an aspie and they should respect it? As in, pull the 'neurodiversity card'.

Like have you ever said something, that in no way did you think was offensive, even days later never even thought about it as being offensive. But supposedly you cause some great upset with the comment and are now being reprimanded or called some negative name. Then even after they explain their upset you still actually don't even understand why that is considered offensive...

Or do you ever get told to stop acting childish, or to be more serious, or to 'not be a caricature', meaning, taking on sort of cartoon comical like qualities. People tend to think I try to be overtly out of line, and not ever 'in tune', to be 'funny', when they don't realize that me not being that way is me just not ever talking, that I don't really have some other more 'adult-like' 'stern and serious' "me" I put on hold to be more humorous.

Or do you ever encounter people who through some combination of reasons, you simply cannot flow with back and forth in conversation, and you inherently always make them feel really uncomfortable (you included) but theres really not anything you can comprehend to change it...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 1:20 am

<--- Can't pull the aspie card because no one knows what it is!

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 1:55 am

I have at one time been forced to pull the
General Disability card, not spesificly
the aspie or autism card or seizure card,
but yes, I was forced to because of
false acuseings made aginst me,
it was done by the lawyer and dad
said I had no other choice.

I was found innocent thank goodness.

I stay in my playroom now, its much safer
in here.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Hermes9
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2013, 12:15 pm

I don't have to pull the card, people know I'm "different" without me having to tell them... Just how it works out, and I'm OK with it. ;)

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2013, 9:41 pm

WAIT ! There's an actual card I can get 8O

:wink:

You are very likely an Aspie

demue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2013, 1:11 pm

I tried to pull the aspie card a few times but I failed. People did not know what it is... and explaining ends either in "I don't understand." or "You don't look that way." So it doesn't matter. I'm awkward enough that people notice it, but not awkward enough that they notice how different I am. I try to be as normal as I can... :roll:

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

I think the only way you get to play that card is if you used it to get hired in the first place. Some "equal opportunity" employers are FORCED to hire a small percentage of disabled/handicapped/whatever-type people, Unless you play the card and get them to fill that spot with YOU, you can't play the "you can't do that to me, I'm different!" card.

I've never tried... it's almost tempting to.

"Hey guys - I know you're forced to hire a small percentage of disabled people. Here's my Aspergers diagnosis. Fill that spot with me, you'll gain an actual productive employee in addition to meeting your mandate!" ;)

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:09 pm

Hermes9 wrote:
I don't have to pull the card, people know I'm "different" without me having to tell them... Just how it works out, and I'm OK with it. ;)

:lol: Yeah, this! /\

I sorta do it with my husband sometimes. I don't have an official diagnosis, but, once I read up on the traits, I identified a few hot button issues and stumbling blocks, so it helped to have a list and point to "Hey, remember that one day, I got really upset? These were my triggers, and you pulled them all. Don't do that anymore."
Things like loud sounds, multiple noise sources, bright lights, extremely long conversations, etc.

My Mom and my sister know that I'm a bit 'different' from them and the way they communicate. But, I don't 'pull the card' with them, because I don't think I've really bothered discussing my suspicions about being an aspie with them, I just accept that they accept me and avoid my touchy spots.

I haven't discussed it with my kids at all. But, they do know Mummy doesn't allow super loud noises inside (they can go outside and be loud). And, they know how I am about some textures being 'oogy'. And they know to turn the lights off as soon as they're done using them. I don't know when I'll bring it up with them or not. Maybe it won't be too much longer before I discuss it with my oldest. He's really smart, and I think he might be on the spectrum as well, so, if I can help him cope more easily with the things I struggled with growing up, that would be a good thing.

Edit: Oh, yeah, sorry, this is a forum about work.
I can fake being normal through meetings with people I don't know, most of the time. Just trying not to be caught stimming by people that don't normally work with me. All of my coworkers have known me since I was much younger and much worse, before I became confident enough with dealing with people (I've been here since I was 20, that's almost 13 years now.).