Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 2:50 am

Hello all.

I am in the last phase of my Fireline Leadership programme where I have to be in charge of a crew of 4-5 firefighters at three separate campaign wildfire incidents before being slotted for promotion to the rank of Crew Leader.

People have told me that once everything is dotted, crossed and made official, I will be made a fuss of, since it will be a big thing for someone with my diagnosis to become a ranked officer. Although, I've always been embarrassed being the centre of attention.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 2:56 am

The_Wolf wrote:
Hello all.

I am in the last phase of my Fireline Leadership programme where I have to be in charge of a crew of 4-5 firefighters at three separate campaign wildfire incidents before being slotted for promotion to the rank of Crew Leader.

People have told me that once everything is dotted, crossed and made official, I will be made a fuss of, since it will be a big thing for someone with my diagnosis to become a ranked officer. Although, I've always been embarrassed being the centre of attention.

Hey that is great, seems like it means you are good at what you do...but yeah in a position like that you should not be embarrassed like you did all the things right to get there. But nah man this could be a great thing for you especially if its like a job you care about doing. But yeah man congrats you should be proud of that...doesn't that indicate you have done well learning the training and making good decisions in the training?

For sure I do not think I could be a leader of anything, lol like I could join a cause I support but I doubt I could have the confidence or anything to actually help lead people. But if you have done well and are getting promoted for that you should not be embarrassed it's a really cool thing, so have a little confidence in it.

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 3:11 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Hey that is great, seems like it means you are good at what you do...but yeah in a position like that you should not be embarrassed like you did all the things right to get there. But nah man this could be a great thing for you especially if its like a job you care about doing. But yeah man congrats you should be proud of that...doesn't that indicate you have done well learning the training and making good decisions in the training?

For sure I do not think I could be a leader of anything, lol like I could join a cause I support but I doubt I could have the confidence or anything to actually help lead people. But if you have done well and are getting promoted for that you should not be embarrassed it's a really cool thing, so have a little confidence in it.

Thank you very much Sweetleaf, I really appreciate your kind words =)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:31 am

You’ve really done excellently!

I’ve been on my job 40 years with no promotions. And my job is easy.

Firefighting is a hard job, and an eminently useful one. I probably could never do it.

Kudos for you, indeed!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You’ve really done excellently!

I’ve been on my job 40 years with no promotions. And my job is easy.

Firefighting is a hard job, and an eminently useful one. I probably could never do it.

Kudos for you, indeed!

You may think that your job is not important but it is. Without the little cogs whirling away the whole organization comes grinding to a halt. Every single piece within the organization is just as important as the other.