Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 11:31 am

Do you think aspies could make good arbitrators?

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm

If you follow the facts of the arguments rather than the emotions, then yes. Aspies would make good arbitrators. However, I think some people will expect an understanding of the emotional trauma someone goes through if you had to make a decision based on that. Not sure how good an Aspie will be in making that kind of a decision.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:40 pm

In my experience, at the very least I aspire to be a good diplomat. I'm more successful than many, but that's not saying I have nothing to worry about. I also can't say it's directly related to AS, I just have lots of circumstantial experience.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 3:39 pm

It’s what I do for a living. I didn’t pick it for my profession it just came naturally and I became the go to man for conflict resolution at my work. Since I am not motivated by emotion and think in logical terms I tend to be very good at it. Even when the person is overly emotional I found that just by listening and not showing any emotion except too valid the person’s feelings that they tend to calm down and feel better. I also seem to be very good at solving problems for people in a practical since. I have no formal training in these areas and not really sure why I seem to succeed at it. But it pays the bills and I enjoy it.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm

hyksos55 wrote:
It’s what I do for a living. I didn’t pick it for my profession it just came naturally and I became the go to man for conflict resolution at my work. Since I am not motivated by emotion and think in logical terms I tend to be very good at it. Even when the person is overly emotional I found that just by listening and not showing any emotion except too valid the person’s feelings that they tend to calm down and feel better. I also seem to be very good at solving problems for people in a practical since. I have no formal training in these areas and not really sure why I seem to succeed at it. But it pays the bills and I enjoy it.

I noticed you were from Texas. Does the education requirement vary? It seemed to me when I was reading that in Ca you needed a law degree, but many other places you don't. Is this the case? And if a person wanted to get into it, what would be the best course of action? Work for an office? Specialize, etc?