I've found a job I could handle...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nitro2k01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2007, 6:52 pm

...but don't have any formal qualifications for.
The job is something like a web page troubleshooter. I'm supposed to look for and fix bugs on a company's website. (It's a sort of community site)

The only problem of course, how do I explain in my letter to them that I'm fit for the job, so that it'll catch their attention? If I just get to the interview, I'll probably be able to convince, for example by asking to demonstrate my skills live in front of their eyes. But actually getting them that interested is probably my culprit.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Apr 2007, 9:16 pm

well you need a whiz bang cover letter + cv. you got cv? ok it doesn't have the background you need, but it could have other stuff.

in the letter, maybe you could say something like "I am fully qualified to solve your problems, as you will see once you see my work." Fully qualified by what - that goes in your cv, you have hands-on experience?

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2007, 11:10 pm

Be honest while emphasizing things you think they want to hear about you.

Here's what I did and it worked for me:
I have a really hard time when I feel I have to try to "sell myself", which is what cover letters and resumes are. I just can't do it. So I looked around on the internet and found a resume service. I called the phone number. The guy was based in like Mississippi or Alabama. He asked me some questions over the phone about my work history and stuff. And he sent me a question form to fill out. I paid him $85 and he made me a totally awesome cover letter and resume that got me a job I like.

Good luck!

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 1:52 am

I have the same problem. Thing is, the army doesn't just recruit divisional commanders and up - and I'd suck at anything much lower.

nitro2k01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Apr 2007, 10:32 pm

After alot of pondering over writing, I finally sent the job submission. I'll tell you whether I'll get an interview, and how it works, when I know.

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2007, 7:25 pm

ok cool