Afraid I messed it all up.... again

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ever alienate yourself unknowingly and then find out there's no repairing the situation?
Yes 92%  92%  [ 11 ]
No 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

Let's start at the beginning:

I got a good job after moving across the country to live with my fiancé. Living 3000 miles away from what I'm used to has been a unique challenge. That being said, I was proud of myself for having obtained this position.

I work in a small office with 3 other women there daily and a female boss who is in the office occasionally. I'm used to having trouble ingratiating myself to or getting to know my coworkers and so I've tried to be patient and just not stress over it.

But now, it seems as though I've messed it up somewhere along the line because I notice them talking to me less and less and the boss just ignores me at this point. I'm generally pretty quiet... sometimes too quiet I've been told (in a way that can seem stuck up or anti-social). I have no problems with anyone in my office and honestly enjoy their company... I just don't know what I've done to separate myself from the crowd (again).

I realize there's no way to go back and fix it, but I'm unsure of how to move forward. How do I approach this topic? And to who? I just don't know how to proceed to try and repair the situation. I feel a bit defeated.

EDIT: Fixed up some typos. Sorry about that.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 4:16 pm

You have not messed up everything. It is ok. You can repair this. Bring food they like either home made or picked up (doughnuts, breakfast burritos, cheese and meat and veggie try, popcorn etc.)

Ask the questions about their lives and work on being interested (or at least paying attention and keeping up with it). Keep up good spirits. All can work out.

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm

Thank you, Nebrets. I'm going to try the food thing tomorrow.