Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm

I started working inside Walmart for Crossmark. I basically setup up shop inside Walmart, and asked people if they wanted to try different foods. I am earning above the minimum wage, earning a check, it's only part time, and not too bad. I would suggest you apply to it, especially in a smaller location. It may be temporary, but it pays well, and puts something on your resume.

Anyways, was the first time on my own, and went well. We sold out of certain chips, and sold a lot of dip. Kinda sucked to stand on your feed, but I got over it .

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 6:56 pm

That's great that you're able to deal with interacting with strangers like that for hours at a time. I can handle being on my feet for extended periods, but people make me nervous as a cat.

I did a part-time job for a couple of years for a company that sends maintenance workers into WalMart stores to open up the CPUs of the register computers, blow out the dust, clean the printers, wipe down and disinfect, etc. Just grunt work, but you operate as an independent contractor, so there's nobody over your shoulder critiquing you all the time.

But the noise level (up at the registers it's much louder than back in the departments) had me in High Anxiety mode from the moment I walked through the door. Then I had to find a CSM (Customer Service Manager) and get them to start reassigning the cashiers, so I could work my way across the entire front of the store, then go department to department, until every register in the store was done. Between the constant drone of human traffic, the stress of having to interact socially with so many strangers, one after another, the racket of my own vacuum (which we used to blow the dust out of the CPUs) and the constant face full of filth blowing out of the machines, it was a terrible job. I only did about 3 stores a week, but it took me a full day in between to decompress from the stress.

The WalMart Distribution Centers were even worse, as I had to go through office buildings from desk-to-desk, disturbing strangers at their jobs, to clean their computers, then traipse through warehouses the size of small cities, some of them refrigerated to freezing to house truckloads of meat and fruit.

That was so stressful, I would occasionally drive more than an hour to get to a job, have a panic attack in my truck and go home without ever getting out, because I couldn't manage the anxiety of interacting with all those strangers.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm

Gotcha. It was not too bad. I figured I would mention it to some on here since it was rather easy to get, and gives a little chump change.