Update (complaining about my situation)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 3:35 am

I quit my job at a drug and alcohol treatment program 4 months ago. I quit because of commuting costs. My intentions were to get a different, higher-paying job in the mental health field after completing my degree. I only had 2 months until graduation when I quit my job. The longer I stayed away from the job, the more I became convinced that I should find a different line of work. After I graduated, I got a job as a temp at a factory and I really liked it. I didn't have to interact much with people (couldn't because of machine noise). It was paying my bills. I could leave the job at home unlike a counseling job.

Well last week, I got hurt at work. Now I can't go back. I don't know if I will get worker's compensation or not. I have to look for a different job, and the only logical field for me to look for a job in is drug and alcohol treatment. I am dreading it. I seriously do not want to get involved in one more person's problems with drugs and alcohol. I also totally disagree with how drug and alcohol treatment is done where I live (recovering addicts as counselors with no training in psychology, mandatory 12-Step meetings). I think drug addiction should be treated like any other mental health problem. I also don't want to tell anybody my story. I want to be a legitimate mental health professional, not a professional addict (doing AA 12-Step work for pay at a treatment center).

Anyway, I don't know what is going to happen next in my life but I am resigned to keep working in the mental health field even though I hate it. I can't just not work because I have bills to pay. I don't want to go bankrupt. I am not ready to go on disability yet. I like counseling but don't feel like continuing to deal with mental health issues on a professional basis. I'd rather do vocational counseling or something like that. I have no idea how to transition to a field other than the one I am already in, and I'm mad.

StatsNerd
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2014, 9:04 am

em_tsuj wrote:
I quit my job at a drug and alcohol treatment program 4 months ago. I quit because of commuting costs. My intentions were to get a different, higher-paying job in the mental health field after completing my degree. I only had 2 months until graduation when I quit my job. The longer I stayed away from the job, the more I became convinced that I should find a different line of work. After I graduated, I got a job as a temp at a factory and I really liked it. I didn't have to interact much with people (couldn't because of machine noise). It was paying my bills. I could leave the job at home unlike a counseling job.

Well last week, I got hurt at work. Now I can't go back. I don't know if I will get worker's compensation or not. I have to look for a different job, and the only logical field for me to look for a job in is drug and alcohol treatment. I am dreading it. I seriously do not want to get involved in one more person's problems with drugs and alcohol. I also totally disagree with how drug and alcohol treatment is done where I live (recovering addicts as counselors with no training in psychology, mandatory 12-Step meetings). I think drug addiction should be treated like any other mental health problem. I also don't want to tell anybody my story. I want to be a legitimate mental health professional, not a professional addict (doing AA 12-Step work for pay at a treatment center).

Anyway, I don't know what is going to happen next in my life but I am resigned to keep working in the mental health field even though I hate it. I can't just not work because I have bills to pay. I don't want to go bankrupt. I am not ready to go on disability yet. I like counseling but don't feel like continuing to deal with mental health issues on a professional basis. I'd rather do vocational counseling or something like that. I have no idea how to transition to a field other than the one I am already in, and I'm mad.

When do you get your degree, and what, specifically, is it in? Also, Bachelors, Masters, or PhD?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 2:16 am

I have a bachelor's in psychology. I got my degree on December 31, 2013. It is a useless degree unless you plan on going to graduate school or working in the mental health field.

I also have six and a half years working at drug and alcohol treatment programs (two years direct care staff at inpatient facilities and 4.5 years as a case manager for a court-run program). I have no other professional experience, just fast food jobs or temp. jobs.

Billw1628
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2014, 3:46 pm

Well... here's an outside the box idea. Try occupational therapy. I heard quite a bit of NT peers came from the psychology background. They have transitioned very well because they have an edge in their knowledge of mental health already. You can try a COTA program first and then go into a bridge program to become an OTR later (like me) if you think a direct entry to an OTR program is too hard at first.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 12:14 am

Billw1628 wrote:
Well... here's an outside the box idea. Try occupational therapy. I heard quite a bit of NT peers came from the psychology background. They have transitioned very well because they have an edge in their knowledge of mental health already. You can try a COTA program first and then go into a bridge program to become an OTR later (like me) if you think a direct entry to an OTR program is too hard at first.

What is occupational therapy?

Billw1628

05 Feb 2014, 12:18 am

em_tsuj wrote:
Billw1628 wrote:

Occupational therapy is a very holistic field. It helps people live their lives to their fullest with what they have now or what they can potentially have skill and abilities wise. That is my "elevator speech".

Last edited by Billw1628 on 05 Feb 2014, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 12:28 am

Billw1628 wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
Billw1628 wrote:

Occupational therapy is a very holistic field. It helps people live their lives to their fullest with what they have now or what they can potentially have skill and abilities wise. That is my "elevator speech".

Thanks. I will look into it.