To work and live in the UK? Have an AS diagnosis and ADHD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

vipa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2017, 12:33 pm

Hello, someday I want to move over there and I´d like to live in the capital if it´s possible. So then I´m wondering, what would you say my possibilites are? What kind of work are they requesting? I´m not good with maths, tried and it just didn´t do the trick. You know any social work where a diagnosis isn´t much of a issue?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 1:06 pm

Perhaps you could get a job working with Special Needs Children.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index ... -children/

vipa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm

Hmm, maybe, thanks. Btw, I’m diagnosend with Aspergers, not autism. So it might gets easier helping me.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2017, 7:51 pm

vipa wrote:
Hmm, maybe, thanks. Btw, I’m diagnosend with Aspergers, not autism. So it might gets easier helping me.

Asperger's is part of the autism spectrum btw.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 8:06 pm

Many "normal" people would rather work with other disabilities such as Down's Syndrome because autism is so hard to understand. This means you will likely have an easier path working with autistic children than most jobs.

vipa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2017, 1:40 am

Stardust Parade wrote:
vipa wrote:

Asperger's is part of the autism spectrum btw.

Aha. However, so one is not forced to tell you’ve got it?

vipa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

Btw, how’s the unenployment rank in England nowadays? Still very high? I know I can google it but it’s always different when you ask people in real life.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2017, 6:07 pm

Unemployment here is at a 42 year low but a lot of people are in jobs that are short term and don't pay all that much. If you want to live in London, make sure you have plenty of cash at your disposal otherwise you will struggle to afford a decent quality of life.

vipa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2017, 12:58 am

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
Unemployment here is at a 42 year low but a lot of people are in jobs that are short term and don't pay all that much. If you want to live in London, make sure you have plenty of cash at your disposal otherwise you will struggle to afford a decent quality of life.

I see, maybe I should pick another city then, it dosen’t happen to be that most works in England are located in London?

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2017, 1:56 pm

vipa wrote:
AlanMooresBeard wrote:

I see, maybe I should pick another city then, it dosen’t happen to be that most works in England are located in London?

Well, most work opportunities tend to be in London but there are certainly other cities like Manchester, Edinburgh, Leeds and Bristol which have plenty of vacancies. Maybe try looking up those places and see if they have vacancies in the field that you're looking for?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 9:45 am

Wages need to be considered against the costs of living, for example, I live in an area with low earnings, I usually work around 25hrs a week at minimum wage, that pays for me to live and rent a small one bedroom house with a small garden, two parking spaces that I don't use, in a small town, and my work commute is a 12min walk.