Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

oldandscared
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2015, 1:31 am

Im 58 and have not been able to work the last three years due to extreme depression, anxiety that is off the charts and ADHD. I have been diagnosed with mild AS as well. ost jobs I get don't last long and they are extremely hard to come by.

When I go on interviews the interviewer picks up right away that I have trouble keeping eye contact, mumbling, etc. If I do get hired the jobs dont last long so I end up with long gaps in my resume. When I can get a job and be left alone I do excellent work. I have a double major in Computer Science (15 years experience) and Accounting which I have done on and off for several years.

I know in the interviews they see how old I am and the age card comes into play. I also have severe panic attacks to the point of almost having a meltdown. I also do not socialize at work. I come in sit down and do my thing and go home. I have tried to apply for lower wage jobs but never get a response because they think I am overqualified and will bolt when a good opportunity comes along. If these decision makers could only walk in my shoes they would understand what hell I go thru every day.

I also have a wife that is disabled (bad back) and cannot sit or stand for long periods of time. I feel so much pressure on myself trying to get a job that can support us both. I don't want to apply for or get disability but I am at my wits end and very depressed.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 11:31 am

You have to have a history of going to doctors and counselors and you'll need a disability lawyer. They advertise for them on daytime TV usually. If you haven't been going to the doctor or counselors for autism symptoms (this would be sensitivity issues, shyness, problems suppressing socially inappropriate behaviors like some kinds of stimming), anxiety, depression, etc, you need to start going now. If you end up getting it, keep in mind that your check every month will be in the neighborhood of 60% of what the average of what you made during the last 3 years you worked.

If you don't want to go this route you could look for a job placement service and disclose to them that you are on the autism spectrum and need help with the social aspect of working. They might be able to coach you in some areas and/or find a place that would prefer the kind of worker who would keep to himself and focus on work. If I were in your position, I would do both of these things.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 3:56 pm

oldandscared wrote:
Im 58 and have not been able to work the last three years due to extreme depression, anxiety that is off the charts and ADHD. I have been diagnosed with mild AS as well. ost jobs I get don't last long and they are extremely hard to come by.

When I go on interviews the interviewer picks up right away that I have trouble keeping eye contact, mumbling, etc. If I do get hired the jobs dont last long so I end up with long gaps in my resume. When I can get a job and be left alone I do excellent work. I have a double major in Computer Science (15 years experience) and Accounting which I have done on and off for several years.

I know in the interviews they see how old I am and the age card comes into play. I also have severe panic attacks to the point of almost having a meltdown. I also do not socialize at work. I come in sit down and do my thing and go home. I have tried to apply for lower wage jobs but never get a response because they think I am overqualified and will bolt when a good opportunity comes along. If these decision makers could only walk in my shoes they would understand what hell I go thru every day.

I also have a wife that is disabled (bad back) and cannot sit or stand for long periods of time. I feel so much pressure on myself trying to get a job that can support us both. I don't want to apply for or get disability but I am at my wits end and very depressed.

It will depend on what country you are in, partly.
Have you checked what programs exist wherever you live?
We can try to help, but we need more info to know where to start. :)