Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2015, 3:07 pm

Some Aspies have special talents and skills that help them excel at their job, others just simply enjoy their work.
But what about people like me who have no skills and a knack for messing stuff up. I choose to get a job after dropping out of college because I though living on disability meant my life would be over and no one would want to be friends with or date someone who didn't work. Sometimes I wonder why I continue working when everyday its just like hitting my head against the wall. Lately I have been losing concentration and motivation during work which is hard, because for me to make it through work it requires all my focus. I work a very physical job and your employment is based on you making rate. I don't want to work hard manual labor jobs until I die because I'm too stupid to get a sit down job or a leadership position. My back is already seriously messed up because of my last job I did for 2 years (not there anymore) which was just physically moving and hand stacking boxes all day most of them upwards of 25 pounds but also lifted over 50 pounds by myself more times than I could count because no one was there to help me. So yea just moving around in my chair at home my back makes loud pops, and I'm also concerned that I might be diabetic because it runs on both sides of my family and I feel really sick when I don't eat for a long time. I'm going to the doctors Thursday and I haven't been in for a check up in four years. Anyways I just cant see myself having the motivation and mental stability to continue to get up every morning and do manual labor jobs 10 or 20 years from now.
Does anyone have any advice?
Do you think I should continue working?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 3:12 pm

how would you support yourself without work? keep in mind that folks who do physical jobs tend to be in better health than their sedentary counterparts. when i had a paper route, i though of it as getting paid to exercise.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2015, 3:46 pm

cathylynn wrote:
how would you support yourself without work? keep in mind that folks who do physical jobs tend to be in better health than their sedentary counterparts. when i had a paper route, i though of it as getting paid to exercise.

I don't know I'm just debating trying for disability I guess. Its not like I'm going to quit tomorrow I'm just unsure and scared about my future. Its not just the physical part that is hard I have a hard time understanding things and it takes me a long time to pick things up and there is not too many employers that will put up with that.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Sep 2015, 1:49 pm

Never mind I'm not going to quit my job or try for disability right now. I am going to stay at my current job until I find something I like better. My job is actually not that bad ,its better than my last job, its just my social anxiety that makes it bad. Some people have anxiety so bad that they cant leave the house, mine isn't that bad but its enough to make me act really strange and awkward at work. I just hate that I'm officially that weird guy that works there that that makes me want to quit. I just had a bad day and was overreacting sorry.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2015, 2:41 pm

I'm glad you're trying to keep working. I was going to say that you can't possibly be any dumber than 90% of the people who work white collar jobs.

Why don't you try doing online school in your spare time, or a technical college that lets you finish in a year and a half? There's no need to do hard stuff if you can avoid it. And trust me, you can avoid it. You can also avoid dealing with people more than superficially if you get a few routines down.

You're young now, but you won't be able to do physical labor forever. It might be worthwhile to plan ahead.

Oh and another thing, I wouldn't go for disability until you can make your earnings really high. Otherwise you'll be in poverty. Disability is only a portion of your earnings before you stop working. The larger the total pie is, the bigger your portion will be.

RubyTates
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Sep 2015, 5:14 pm

Continue working at your job and see if you can find an office job somewhere. Admin jobs seem to be the best for me. Plus, there is nothing wrong with going on disability in the interim so you can rebuild your mental reserves and get your head straight.

I once spent one day in a job and cried to my mother on the phone that I did not want to go back- and I was 23 at the time! Some jobs are just not suited for us- especially those that rely heavily on the social aspect. I do not know what I would do if I had to do something physical because I am horribly weak and get fatigued very quickly.

But, bad things do not last forever. I ended up finding a job that suited me to a T and have been doing well for the last year. Continue to search for something better.

RubyTates
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Sep 2015, 5:16 pm

and another thing- you said you did not want to be on disability because girls would not want to date someone that was on disability?

Who says they have to know that you are on disability? You can just tell them that you get money elsewhere and be looking for another job at the same time. It's a little white lie but it won't hurt anybody. Besides, the right girl will love you for who you are, quirks and all, so if she's not understanding of your situation, she shouldn't let the door hit her on the way out.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2015, 3:17 pm

Have you considered a skilled trade apprenticeship? Your labor experience may help you out in the application process. Union electricians make a LOT of money, and it's not nearly as labor-intensive as what you do right now. http://www.ibew.org/Tools/Local-Union-Directory