My job is driving me crazy, the sequel

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 6:05 pm

I forget where my old thread is where I was talking about my job. I still haven't left. Since they are restructuring the company I've been waiting it out to see if things get any better. So far it's not looking very promising, LMAO, so at this point I feel like I'm just in it for the entertainment value.

Their business tactics just don't make any sense, worse than ever, really almost like they purposely want to run this company out of business. It makes me feel like my brain is going to explode.

How do you deal with it when you are being asked to do things that you know are detrimental to the business your company is in? Assuming you've already tried to tell them, as I have.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2016, 11:41 am

Sorry, I don't remember your prior thread.

I am also the kind of person that gets bothered by this sort of thing. But my husband has been at his place of employment for more than 15 years, very successfully. They are always wasting HUGE amounts of money doing moronic things, asking my husband to do stupid things and not listening to his simple explanations of easier and cheaper ways to do them instead.

He says his most painful and useful lesson over the years was to learn how to simply say "Okay" and do what he was told. He'll see a problem coming up where he knows no one will listen to him and he knows how to fix the problem, but he'll wait until it has become a huge mess and someone comes to him and asks for help. Then he WON'T tell them it's their fault. He just fixes it and goes back to his own affairs. He comes out of this looking like everyone's hero. All it takes is self restraint. Just let the stuff go wrong and mind your own business.

If I had known how to do this, I think I would have done much better in my own former career.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2016, 6:22 pm

I sell contracts to customers, which involve lots of different people and steps for them to get what they are supposed to get. Things inevitably go wrong, but I have no way to fix it, other than asking other people (who mostly don't care) to try to research the problem. Then I'm expected to go back and sell the same contract again, or additional contracts, to the customer who is already unhappy. The cycle just keeps going on like this year after year. I WISH there was some way I could fix the problem, but it's out of my hands.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 9:29 am

Ohh...well that's rough.

Do you think it might help to make a flowchart for yourself to focus on what you CAN do?

Such as:

(Calls to buy) inform about product > answer questions > refer to [person] > thank and goodbye

(Complaint) refer to [person] > thank and goodbye

(Asks question) answer question > thank and goodbye

So it's like a visual reference that the constant failure of the product is outside of your universe of control?